Adam Zagoria covers the New York Knicks, Big East hoops and U.S. Open tennis for NBA.com and SNY.tv. He also appears as a Big East Basketball Insider on SNY and 1050 ESPN Radio.
With the 2012 NBA draft coming up next month, we spoke with Zagoria for a look at Syracuse center Fab Melo’s prospects in the NBA.
Adam Zagoria’s take: He’s projected as a late first round pick. There is a lot of size and true centers in the first round. You’ve got Andre Drummond, Jared Sullinger, Tyler Zeller, Meyers Leonard and then Fab. I think Fab is a guy that if he stays in shape, and doesn’t put the weight back on he’s got a chance to play in the league for a while. You don’t get too many athletic 7-footers who can block shots and change shots on the defensive end.
The Juice Online’s Scouting Report:
- Strengths: Prototypical build and size for an NBA center… Excellent shotblocker with good instincts… Knows how to position himself in the painted area and draws charges… Good help defender… Improved conditioning significantly from freshman to sophomore year… Soft hands and good finisher… Oozes potential with his athletic ability and size.
- Weaknesses: Limited offensive game… Began flashing a jumper and a baby hook, but still far from reliable… Underwhelming rebounder given his size… Not very physical… Still needs work as an on the ball defender… Goaltends too often… Liability at the free throw line, though he did improve toward the end of the season.
- Birthdate: June 2, 1990
- Hometown: Juiz de Forz, Brazil
- Position: Center
- School: Syracuse ’14
- Height, 7’0″
- Weight, 244 lbs
- NBADraft.net: 1st round, 29th pick (Golden State Warriors)
- Draftexpress.com: 1st round, 28rd pick (Oklahoma City Thunder)
- The Hoops Report: 1st round, 21st pick (Orlando Magic)
Career Highlights at Syracuse: Melo was named the Big East’s 2011-12 Defensive Player of the Year after averaging 8.3 points and 6.2 rebounds per game, with 88 blocked shots.
- ACC Digital Network: Live NBA Draft Party - June 26, 2014
- What are the expectations for the Syracuse football team this season? - June 13, 2014
- Offseason questions give Orange long odds for 2014-2015 basketball championship - May 12, 2014
- Will Trevor Cooney really continue improving in his final two years at Syracuse? - April 22, 2014
- Syracuse scores with IMG sponsorship deals - March 27, 2014
- Favorite teams to win the 2014 NCAA Tournament from the South Region - March 25, 2014
- VIDEO: CJ Fair calls Syracuse career ‘pretty successful’ - March 23, 2014
- VIDEO: Syracuse F CJ Fair thinks Dayton is a ‘dangerous’ team - March 22, 2014
- VIDEO: Boeheim on Syracuse win — ‘It’s just the first step’ - March 21, 2014
- VIDEO: Who’s Got Next — Syracuse vs. Dayton - March 20, 2014