Adam Zagoria covers the New York Knicks, Big East hoops and U.S. Open tennis for NBA.com and SNY.tv. He also appears as a Big East Basketball Insider on SNY and 1050 ESPN Radio.
With the 2012 NBA draft coming up next month, we spoke with Zagoria for a look at Syracuse center Fab Melo’s prospects in the NBA.
Adam Zagoria’s take: He’s projected as a late first round pick. There is a lot of size and true centers in the first round. You’ve got Andre Drummond, Jared Sullinger, Tyler Zeller, Meyers Leonard and then Fab. I think Fab is a guy that if he stays in shape, and doesn’t put the weight back on he’s got a chance to play in the league for a while. You don’t get too many athletic 7-footers who can block shots and change shots on the defensive end.
The Juice Online’s Scouting Report:
- Strengths: Prototypical build and size for an NBA center… Excellent shotblocker with good instincts… Knows how to position himself in the painted area and draws charges… Good help defender… Improved conditioning significantly from freshman to sophomore year… Soft hands and good finisher… Oozes potential with his athletic ability and size.
- Weaknesses: Limited offensive game… Began flashing a jumper and a baby hook, but still far from reliable… Underwhelming rebounder given his size… Not very physical… Still needs work as an on the ball defender… Goaltends too often… Liability at the free throw line, though he did improve toward the end of the season.
- Birthdate: June 2, 1990
- Hometown: Juiz de Forz, Brazil
- Position: Center
- School: Syracuse ’14
- Height, 7’0″
- Weight, 244 lbs
- NBADraft.net: 1st round, 29th pick (Golden State Warriors)
- Draftexpress.com: 1st round, 28rd pick (Oklahoma City Thunder)
- The Hoops Report: 1st round, 21st pick (Orlando Magic)
Career Highlights at Syracuse: Melo was named the Big East’s 2011-12 Defensive Player of the Year after averaging 8.3 points and 6.2 rebounds per game, with 88 blocked shots.
- Syracuse lacrosse: 2017 ACC championship predictions - April 27, 2017
- Mixed Juice: Reactions to Syracuse missing 2017 NCAA Tournament - March 13, 2017
- Has Syracuse basketball done enough to make the NCAA Tournament? - March 10, 2017
- Syracuse v. Notre Dame, 1/21/17: Predictions and analysis - January 20, 2017
- Syracuse v. Boston College, 1/14/17: Predictions and analysis - January 13, 2017
- Mixed Juice: 2016 Syracuse football predictions - August 19, 2016
- Mixed Juice: Who will start for 2016-17 Syracuse basketball? - July 29, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: Parity is the new normal - May 23, 2016
- Thoughts on athletic director Mark Coyle’s departure from Syracuse - May 12, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: ACC Tournament predictions - April 28, 2016