Adam Zagoria covers the New York Knicks, Big East hoops and U.S. Open tennis for NBA.com and SNY.tv. He also appears as a Big East Basketball Insider on SNY and 1050 ESPN Radio.
With the 2012 NBA draft coming up next month, we spoke with Zagoria for a look at Syracuse center Fab Melo’s prospects in the NBA.
Adam Zagoria’s take: He’s projected as a late first round pick. There is a lot of size and true centers in the first round. You’ve got Andre Drummond, Jared Sullinger, Tyler Zeller, Meyers Leonard and then Fab. I think Fab is a guy that if he stays in shape, and doesn’t put the weight back on he’s got a chance to play in the league for a while. You don’t get too many athletic 7-footers who can block shots and change shots on the defensive end.
The Juice Online’s Scouting Report:
- Strengths: Prototypical build and size for an NBA center… Excellent shotblocker with good instincts… Knows how to position himself in the painted area and draws charges… Good help defender… Improved conditioning significantly from freshman to sophomore year… Soft hands and good finisher… Oozes potential with his athletic ability and size.
- Weaknesses: Limited offensive game… Began flashing a jumper and a baby hook, but still far from reliable… Underwhelming rebounder given his size… Not very physical… Still needs work as an on the ball defender… Goaltends too often… Liability at the free throw line, though he did improve toward the end of the season.
- Birthdate: June 2, 1990
- Hometown: Juiz de Forz, Brazil
- Position: Center
- School: Syracuse ’14
- Height, 7’0″
- Weight, 244 lbs
- NBADraft.net: 1st round, 29th pick (Golden State Warriors)
- Draftexpress.com: 1st round, 28rd pick (Oklahoma City Thunder)
- The Hoops Report: 1st round, 21st pick (Orlando Magic)
Career Highlights at Syracuse: Melo was named the Big East’s 2011-12 Defensive Player of the Year after averaging 8.3 points and 6.2 rebounds per game, with 88 blocked shots.
- Syracuse v. Miami Football Predictions - October 20, 2017
- Syracuse v. Clemson Football Predictions - October 13, 2017
- Syracuse v. Pittsburgh Football Predictions - October 6, 2017
- Do moral victories mean anything for Syracuse football? - September 26, 2017
- Syracuse v. LSU Football Predictions - September 20, 2017
- Syracuse v. Central Michigan Football Predictions - September 15, 2017
- Syracuse v. Middle Tennessee State Predictions - September 8, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Lacrosse Championship: Syracuse predictions - May 9, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse: 2017 ACC championship predictions - April 27, 2017
- Mixed Juice: Reactions to Syracuse missing 2017 NCAA Tournament - March 13, 2017