Adam Zagoria covers the New York Knicks, Big East hoops and U.S. Open tennis for NBA.com and SNY.tv. He also appears as a Big East Basketball Insider on SNY and 1050 ESPN Radio.
With the 2012 NBA draft coming up next month, we spoke with Zagoria for a look at Syracuse center Fab Melo’s prospects in the NBA.
Adam Zagoria’s take: He’s projected as a late first round pick. There is a lot of size and true centers in the first round. You’ve got Andre Drummond, Jared Sullinger, Tyler Zeller, Meyers Leonard and then Fab. I think Fab is a guy that if he stays in shape, and doesn’t put the weight back on he’s got a chance to play in the league for a while. You don’t get too many athletic 7-footers who can block shots and change shots on the defensive end.
The Juice Online’s Scouting Report:
- Strengths: Prototypical build and size for an NBA center… Excellent shotblocker with good instincts… Knows how to position himself in the painted area and draws charges… Good help defender… Improved conditioning significantly from freshman to sophomore year… Soft hands and good finisher… Oozes potential with his athletic ability and size.
- Weaknesses: Limited offensive game… Began flashing a jumper and a baby hook, but still far from reliable… Underwhelming rebounder given his size… Not very physical… Still needs work as an on the ball defender… Goaltends too often… Liability at the free throw line, though he did improve toward the end of the season.
- Birthdate: June 2, 1990
- Hometown: Juiz de Forz, Brazil
- Position: Center
- School: Syracuse ’14
- Height, 7’0″
- Weight, 244 lbs
- NBADraft.net: 1st round, 29th pick (Golden State Warriors)
- Draftexpress.com: 1st round, 28rd pick (Oklahoma City Thunder)
- The Hoops Report: 1st round, 21st pick (Orlando Magic)
Career Highlights at Syracuse: Melo was named the Big East’s 2011-12 Defensive Player of the Year after averaging 8.3 points and 6.2 rebounds per game, with 88 blocked shots.
- Mixed Juice: What is the impact of Syracuse losing Moustapha Diagne? - August 24, 2015
- What is the significance of Syracuse football restoring 44? - May 22, 2015
- Early 2015-16 Odds Update on the Orange - May 22, 2015
- 2015 NCAA Tournament predictions: Syracuse lacrosse will win it all - May 7, 2015
- Michael Carter-Williams gets hit twice as Bucks eliminated - May 1, 2015
- Mixed Juice: On Syracuse guard Malachi Richardson’s playing time - April 28, 2015
- Tim Welsh: Syracuse head basketball coach Jim Boeheim a ‘fighter’ - March 23, 2015
- Duke’s Jahlil Okafor, Syracuse’s Rakeem Christmas headline TJO’s All-ACC Awards - March 9, 2015
- Syracuse v. NC State: Predictions and analysis - March 6, 2015
- Syracuse v. Virginia: Predictions and analysis - March 2, 2015