Villanova, Pa. – A quick recap of third-seed Syracuse’s 15-6 win over host and second-seed Villanova in the Big East Lacrosse Championship semi-finals at Villanova Stadium Thursday night.
WHAT HAPPENED: SU raced out to an early 2-0 lead and never looked back, leading 6-4 at the half and 10-6 after three quarters. The Orange offense was economical with its second half possessions scoring nine goals to comfortably pull away and avenge an 11-10 regular season loss to the Wildcats in the Dome in March.
WHAT IT MEANS: SU will have an opportunity to be back in a familiar spot, the NCAA Tournament, by winning the Big East’s automatic bid with a win over St. John’s in Saturday’s championship game. Since 1982, a year before winning its first national title, the Orange has only missed the NCAA Tournament once, in 2007.
STAR GAZING: Senior middie Bobby Eilers had a career high four goals, setting the tempo with the game’s first two goals. While freshman goalie Bobby Wardwell played well, especially in the second half, finishing with 12 saves. Senior attack Tommy Palasek had a goal and three assists.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse looks to clinch an NCAA Tournament spot with a win over 4th seed St. John’s on Saturday at Villanova Stadium. The Red Storm raced out to a five goal lead over top-seed Notre Dame and held off a furious Irish fourth quarter rally to edge ND 8-7. In the regular season meeting in March, the Cuse nipped SJU 9-8 in Queens. Game time Saturday is 12:00 and it will be televised live on ESPNU.
- Orange Watch: First Syracuse-LSU meeting in Louisiana was a historic Sugar Bowl tale - September 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 41, Central Michigan 17 - September 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Former Syracuse coach Scott Shafer classless in victory - September 13, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse v. Middle Tennessee highlights NCAA clock problem - September 12, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football coaches past and present match wits Saturday - September 5, 2017
- Orange Watch: The never-ending quest to find talent for Syracuse football - August 23, 2017
- Orange Watch: Dick MacPherson memorial service an elegant tribute to legendary persona - August 15, 2017
- Orange Watch: An honor to know, work with former Syracuse coach Dick MacPherson - August 9, 2017
- Orange Watch: It’s been 30 seasons since Syracuse’s 1987 undefeated Sugar Bowl journey - August 1, 2017
- Orange Watch: If Syracuse football can get to a bowl game, there are plenty of destinations - July 26, 2017