Villanova, Pa. – A quick recap of third-seed Syracuse’s 15-6 win over host and second-seed Villanova in the Big East Lacrosse Championship semi-finals at Villanova Stadium Thursday night.
WHAT HAPPENED: SU raced out to an early 2-0 lead and never looked back, leading 6-4 at the half and 10-6 after three quarters. The Orange offense was economical with its second half possessions scoring nine goals to comfortably pull away and avenge an 11-10 regular season loss to the Wildcats in the Dome in March.
WHAT IT MEANS: SU will have an opportunity to be back in a familiar spot, the NCAA Tournament, by winning the Big East’s automatic bid with a win over St. John’s in Saturday’s championship game. Since 1982, a year before winning its first national title, the Orange has only missed the NCAA Tournament once, in 2007.
STAR GAZING: Senior middie Bobby Eilers had a career high four goals, setting the tempo with the game’s first two goals. While freshman goalie Bobby Wardwell played well, especially in the second half, finishing with 12 saves. Senior attack Tommy Palasek had a goal and three assists.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse looks to clinch an NCAA Tournament spot with a win over 4th seed St. John’s on Saturday at Villanova Stadium. The Red Storm raced out to a five goal lead over top-seed Notre Dame and held off a furious Irish fourth quarter rally to edge ND 8-7. In the regular season meeting in March, the Cuse nipped SJU 9-8 in Queens. Game time Saturday is 12:00 and it will be televised live on ESPNU.
- Orange Watch: After NCAA black eye, Syracuse to shine hosting NCAA regional - March 24, 2015
- Monumental Day for Syracuse basketball – Jim Boeheim to retire in three years - March 18, 2015
- Daryl Gross out, Pete Sala in, as new interim Syracuse athletic director - March 18, 2015
- Orange Watch: Near season’s midpoint, Syracuse lacrosse looking like team on mission - March 16, 2015
- Orange Watch: How long until Syracuse athletics wakes up from its NCAA nightmare? - March 10, 2015
- Instant Juice: NCAA suspends Boeheim, vacates 108 wins, docks Syracuse’s scholarships - March 6, 2015
- Orange Watch: If Jim Boeheim seeks 1000 victories, he’ll be coaching at Syracuse in 2017 - March 4, 2015
- Orange Watch: How have things been for Syracuse since Christmas? - February 24, 2015
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball must win once to avoid ignominious distinction - February 24, 2015
- Orange Watch: 200 victories and counting for Syracuse lacrosse coach John Desko - February 17, 2015