Villanova, Pa. – A quick recap of third-seed Syracuse’s 15-6 win over host and second-seed Villanova in the Big East Lacrosse Championship semi-finals at Villanova Stadium Thursday night.
WHAT HAPPENED: SU raced out to an early 2-0 lead and never looked back, leading 6-4 at the half and 10-6 after three quarters. The Orange offense was economical with its second half possessions scoring nine goals to comfortably pull away and avenge an 11-10 regular season loss to the Wildcats in the Dome in March.
WHAT IT MEANS: SU will have an opportunity to be back in a familiar spot, the NCAA Tournament, by winning the Big East’s automatic bid with a win over St. John’s in Saturday’s championship game. Since 1982, a year before winning its first national title, the Orange has only missed the NCAA Tournament once, in 2007.
STAR GAZING: Senior middie Bobby Eilers had a career high four goals, setting the tempo with the game’s first two goals. While freshman goalie Bobby Wardwell played well, especially in the second half, finishing with 12 saves. Senior attack Tommy Palasek had a goal and three assists.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse looks to clinch an NCAA Tournament spot with a win over 4th seed St. John’s on Saturday at Villanova Stadium. The Red Storm raced out to a five goal lead over top-seed Notre Dame and held off a furious Irish fourth quarter rally to edge ND 8-7. In the regular season meeting in March, the Cuse nipped SJU 9-8 in Queens. Game time Saturday is 12:00 and it will be televised live on ESPNU.
- Orange Watch: Only victories will earn respect for Syracuse football - July 19, 2017
- Orange Watch: Questions abound for Syracuse heading into ACC Football Kickoff event - July 12, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse finishes ironic 44th in Learfield Director’s Cup standings - July 5, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball non-conference schedule close to finished - June 27, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball has rich history of first round NBA Draft selections - June 20, 2017
- Orange Watch: Another first in legendary career of Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim - June 13, 2017
- Orange Watch: Getting clear idea of future Syracuse football scheduling philosophy - June 6, 2017
- Orange Watch: It’s time to tweak a couple of rules in Division I men’s lacrosse - June 1, 2017
- Orange Watch: New early signing period huge change for Syracuse football recruiting - May 30, 2017
- Orange Watch: A refreshing of the roster for 2017-18 Syracuse basketball - May 25, 2017