Villanova, Pa. – A quick recap of third-seed Syracuse’s 15-6 win over host and second-seed Villanova in the Big East Lacrosse Championship semi-finals at Villanova Stadium Thursday night.
WHAT HAPPENED: SU raced out to an early 2-0 lead and never looked back, leading 6-4 at the half and 10-6 after three quarters. The Orange offense was economical with its second half possessions scoring nine goals to comfortably pull away and avenge an 11-10 regular season loss to the Wildcats in the Dome in March.
WHAT IT MEANS: SU will have an opportunity to be back in a familiar spot, the NCAA Tournament, by winning the Big East’s automatic bid with a win over St. John’s in Saturday’s championship game. Since 1982, a year before winning its first national title, the Orange has only missed the NCAA Tournament once, in 2007.
STAR GAZING: Senior middie Bobby Eilers had a career high four goals, setting the tempo with the game’s first two goals. While freshman goalie Bobby Wardwell played well, especially in the second half, finishing with 12 saves. Senior attack Tommy Palasek had a goal and three assists.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse looks to clinch an NCAA Tournament spot with a win over 4th seed St. John’s on Saturday at Villanova Stadium. The Red Storm raced out to a five goal lead over top-seed Notre Dame and held off a furious Irish fourth quarter rally to edge ND 8-7. In the regular season meeting in March, the Cuse nipped SJU 9-8 in Queens. Game time Saturday is 12:00 and it will be televised live on ESPNU.
- Orange Watch: Can Syracuse basketball duplicate last year’s victory total despite distractions? - October 21, 2014
- Orange Watch: For Syracuse football, is a minimum 4-2 finish realistic this season? - October 14, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, Florida State 38 - October 11, 2014
- Orange Watch: New Syracuse quarterback, new offensive play caller, HUGE challenge - October 7, 2014
- Orange Watch: Better execution, continued talent upgrade needed for Syracuse football - September 30, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 15, Notre Dame 31 - September 27, 2014
- Orange Watch: For Syracuse football, no time like present for ‘national relevancy’ - September 23, 2014
- Orange Watch: From 0-2 to 2-0, what a difference a year makes for Syracuse football - September 16, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 40, Central Michigan 3 - September 13, 2014
- Orange Watch: Syracuse, ACC lead the way with the most NFL head coaches - September 8, 2014