The Voice of the Syracuse fan is real Orange fans, real opinions and real passion. If you love Syracuse athletics and want your voice and opinions to be heard, share them with us we’ll post it alongside the opinions of some of the most die-hard SU fans around.
SU Lax isn’t going to the NCAA tournament
I think that if SU fans think the team has any shot at an at large berth to the men’s NCAA lacrosse tournament, they are sadly mistaken. A review of SU’s schedule shows that they have lost to every good team they have played except for Princeton. In reality, it appears that this year’s team was overrated and its season long struggles should’ve been expected. They lost seven great players after last season, including team leaders John Galloway, John Lade and Joel White to name three.
SU has had defensive breakdowns galore because of the lack of experience among the close defense. Although Syracuse tried to compensate with a switch to zone defense, it’s been a stopgap measure that really hasn’t worked as well as hoped.
When it comes down to it, this year’s team misses White’s ability to create transition opportunities with his long stick and ability to win ground balls. SU’s faceoff men are creating 50/50 situations on the faceoffs, but the wings are struggling to pick up ground balls. It won’t shock me if they lose again to Nova, especially since the Nova is hosting this year’s conference tournament. That would definitively end SU’s season.
The views and opinions expressed by the writers are theirs alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of The Juice Online or any employee thereof.
- Mixed Juice: 2016 Syracuse football predictions - August 19, 2016
- Mixed Juice: Who will start for 2016-17 Syracuse basketball? - July 29, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: Parity is the new normal - May 23, 2016
- Thoughts on athletic director Mark Coyle’s departure from Syracuse - May 12, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: ACC Tournament predictions - April 28, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Zagoria breaks down Syracuse basketball’s loss against North Carolina - April 3, 2016
- Part II — Syracuse basketball Final Four Predictions - March 31, 2016
- Syracuse basketball: Final Four Predictions Part I - March 30, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim discusses win over Virginia - March 28, 2016
- A look at the Sweet 16 - March 23, 2016