A report on Friday night from Adam Zagoria and SNY says that small forward Michael Gbinije will be transferring from Duke to Syracuse.
The top-50 prospect coming out of high school played in 19 games, averaging 1.7 points and 0.8 rebounds in his freshman year at Duke. Gbinije came played on the AAU team “Team Takeover,” where incoming Syracuse freshman Jermari Grant also played.
He was ranked a four star recruit by Scout.com, and was listed as the No. 7 small forward in the 2011 class.
As required by NCAA transfer rules, Gbinije will have to sit out the 2012-13 season. ACC schools don’t normally allow players to transfer to another ACC school, but Syracuse has yet to join the conference.
Wes Johnson was Syracuse’s last transfer. Johnson averaged 16.5 points and 8.5 rebounds in his only season at Syracuse, and was a First Team All American.
More on Michael Gbinije:
- Syracuse.com | Duke transfer Michael Gbinije commits to Syracuse; calls SU ‘a good fit for me‘
- CuseNation.com | SU Lands Duke Transfer Michael Gbinije
- Nation of Orange | Duke Transfer Mike Gbinije Commits To Syracuse
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 TE Aaron Hackett down to Syracuse, USF - July 29, 2016
- Jason Emerich — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - July 28, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Several 2017 Syracuse basketball targets to play in Entertainer’s Basketball Classic - July 28, 2016
- Clemson Tigers — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - July 27, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 defensive back Jarrett Paul to visit Syracuse on Thursday - July 26, 2016
- How will Syracuse F Michael Gbinije do with the Detroit Pistons? - July 25, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from 2017 LB Nadarius Fagan - July 25, 2016
- Boston College Eagles — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - July 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Boeheim’s Army 84, The Untouchables 91 - July 21, 2016
- Steven Clark — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - July 21, 2016