A report on Friday night from Adam Zagoria and SNY says that small forward Michael Gbinije will be transferring from Duke to Syracuse.
The top-50 prospect coming out of high school played in 19 games, averaging 1.7 points and 0.8 rebounds in his freshman year at Duke. Gbinije came played on the AAU team “Team Takeover,” where incoming Syracuse freshman Jermari Grant also played.
He was ranked a four star recruit by Scout.com, and was listed as the No. 7 small forward in the 2011 class.
As required by NCAA transfer rules, Gbinije will have to sit out the 2012-13 season. ACC schools don’t normally allow players to transfer to another ACC school, but Syracuse has yet to join the conference.
Wes Johnson was Syracuse’s last transfer. Johnson averaged 16.5 points and 8.5 rebounds in his only season at Syracuse, and was a First Team All American.
More on Michael Gbinije:
- Syracuse.com | Duke transfer Michael Gbinije commits to Syracuse; calls SU ‘a good fit for me‘
- CuseNation.com | SU Lands Duke Transfer Michael Gbinije
- Nation of Orange | Duke Transfer Mike Gbinije Commits To Syracuse
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Chris Carlson on the NIT, 2017 basketball recruiting, Greensboro - March 17, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, UNC Greensboro 77 - March 15, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse basketball left out of NCAA Tournament - March 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse surges, sputters, then hangs on for win against St. John’s - March 12, 2017
- Jim Boeheim pleads case for Syracuse after ACC Tournament loss - March 9, 2017
- Syracuse coach says there’s ‘no value’ in playing ACC Tournament in Greensboro - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, Miami 62 - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, Georgia Tech 61 - March 4, 2017