With the 2012 NFL draft starting Thursday, we sat down with our pro football expert from SNY.tv, Kel Dansby from the Giants Football Blog, for a look at Syracuse’s top prospect, defensive end Chandler Jones.
Kel Dansby: Jones is one of the fastest rising prospects in the 2012 NFL Draft. He was once considered a early second round pick, but scouts have now fallen in love with his pass rushing potential. Personally, I feel that he is a bit undersized for the 3-4 defensive teams that he is being projected. He has only played with his hand in the dirt and the transition isn’t as easy as many people may think. For every DeMarcus Ware there is a Manny Lawson or Aaron Maybin. Jones fits better in a 4-3 scheme as a pass rush specialist and could eventually follow in the footsteps of another ‘Cuse defensive end, Dwight Freeney. He has risen too high in the first round for the Giants. The likely teams for Jones are the Jets, Titans and Packers.
- Birthdate: February 27, 1990 (Age: 22)
- Hometown: Endicott, NY
- School: Syracuse ’12
- Height, 6’5″
- Arm length, 35.5
- Weight, 266 lbs
- Hands, 9.75
- Rob Rang, CBS: 1st round, 27th pick (New England Patriots)
- Todd McShay, ESPN: 1st round, 16th pick (New York Jets)
- Mel Kiper, ESPN: 1st round, 18th pick (San Diego Chargers)
- Greg Cosell, NFL.com: 1st round, 15th pick (Philadelphia Eagles)
- Jeff Saukaitis, Fox Sports: 1st round, 32nd pick (New York Giants)
- 40 (4.87).
- Bench (22).
- Vertical (35.0).
- Broad (10’00”).
- Shuttle (4.38).
- Cone (7.07).
Career Highlights at Syracuse: Jones was named to the All Big East First Team this season after amassing 38 tackles (30 solo) and 4.5 sacks. Jones missed five games due to a lower body injury, but returned against West Virginia and led the Orange to a 49-23 win over West Virginia with six solo tackles and two sacks for a loss of 19 yards. He is ninth on the SU all time list for career tackles by a down lineman (147) and career tackles for a loss (27.0).
- Syracuse v. Clemson Football Predictions - October 13, 2017
- Syracuse v. Pittsburgh Football Predictions - October 6, 2017
- Do moral victories mean anything for Syracuse football? - September 26, 2017
- Syracuse v. LSU Football Predictions - September 20, 2017
- Syracuse v. Central Michigan Football Predictions - September 15, 2017
- Syracuse v. Middle Tennessee State Predictions - September 8, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Lacrosse Championship: Syracuse predictions - May 9, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse: 2017 ACC championship predictions - April 27, 2017
- Mixed Juice: Reactions to Syracuse missing 2017 NCAA Tournament - March 13, 2017
- Has Syracuse basketball done enough to make the NCAA Tournament? - March 10, 2017