Zach Tomaselli, one of four men to accuse former Syracuse assistant coach Bernie Fine of molesting him, has recanted his story on Thursday night.
In an email to CNY Central, Tomaselli wrote, “It has become a burden of a lie and I am sick of it. Bobby Davis told me what to tell detectives and it pretty much took off from there,” while adding that he never met Fine.
Davis denied those allegations Friday morning.
“I never said anything like that at all to the kid,” Davis said to ESPN. “I just spoke to him a couple minutes. in the short time we spoke what he said is not like anything I know of Bernie, but I’m not in position to question anybody.”
Tomaselli pled guilty to gross sexual assault, unlawful sexual contact and two other sex-related counts, while seven other counts were dropped in December. Tomaselli was sentenced to three years and three months in prison in Maine on Wednesday.
Tomaselli becomes the second of the four accusers to recant his story. In January, the fourth accuser, Floyd VanHooser, told the Syracuse Post-Standard that he had fabricated his story.
That leaves Bobby Davis and Mike Lang as the only two accusers still remaining.
The allegations led to Fine’s dismissal as the Syracuse associate head basketball coach on Nov. 27. Fine was in his 36th season with SU.
No criminal charges have been filed against him. Previously, a statement issued by Fine called the allegations of the first two accusers “patently false.”
- Mixed Juice: Dino Babers a home run hire for Syracuse football - December 7, 2015
- Mixed Juice: Reaction to Syracuse firing football coach Scott Shafer - November 23, 2015
- Syracuse Odds Update on the 2015-16 NCAA Basketball Season - November 20, 2015
- Orange in the NBA - October 29, 2015
- Syracuse football: Defense & Special Teams report card through four games - October 7, 2015
- Syracuse football: Offense report card through four games - October 5, 2015
- Mixed Juice: What is the impact of Syracuse losing Moustapha Diagne? - August 24, 2015
- What is the significance of Syracuse football restoring 44? - May 22, 2015
- Early 2015-16 Odds Update on the Orange - May 22, 2015
- 2015 NCAA Tournament predictions: Syracuse lacrosse will win it all - May 7, 2015