Zach Tomaselli, one of four men to accuse former Syracuse assistant coach Bernie Fine of molesting him, has recanted his story on Thursday night.
In an email to CNY Central, Tomaselli wrote, “It has become a burden of a lie and I am sick of it. Bobby Davis told me what to tell detectives and it pretty much took off from there,” while adding that he never met Fine.
Davis denied those allegations Friday morning.
“I never said anything like that at all to the kid,” Davis said to ESPN. “I just spoke to him a couple minutes. in the short time we spoke what he said is not like anything I know of Bernie, but I’m not in position to question anybody.”
Tomaselli pled guilty to gross sexual assault, unlawful sexual contact and two other sex-related counts, while seven other counts were dropped in December. Tomaselli was sentenced to three years and three months in prison in Maine on Wednesday.
Tomaselli becomes the second of the four accusers to recant his story. In January, the fourth accuser, Floyd VanHooser, told the Syracuse Post-Standard that he had fabricated his story.
That leaves Bobby Davis and Mike Lang as the only two accusers still remaining.
The allegations led to Fine’s dismissal as the Syracuse associate head basketball coach on Nov. 27. Fine was in his 36th season with SU.
No criminal charges have been filed against him. Previously, a statement issued by Fine called the allegations of the first two accusers “patently false.”
- ACC Digital Network: Live NBA Draft Party - June 26, 2014
- What are the expectations for the Syracuse football team this season? - June 13, 2014
- Offseason questions give Orange long odds for 2014-2015 basketball championship - May 12, 2014
- Will Trevor Cooney really continue improving in his final two years at Syracuse? - April 22, 2014
- Syracuse scores with IMG sponsorship deals - March 27, 2014
- Favorite teams to win the 2014 NCAA Tournament from the South Region - March 25, 2014
- VIDEO: CJ Fair calls Syracuse career ‘pretty successful’ - March 23, 2014
- VIDEO: Syracuse F CJ Fair thinks Dayton is a ‘dangerous’ team - March 22, 2014
- VIDEO: Boeheim on Syracuse win — ‘It’s just the first step’ - March 21, 2014
- VIDEO: Who’s Got Next — Syracuse vs. Dayton - March 20, 2014