ITEM: The NCAA, with less than a year to go, still hasn’t decided on the site for the East Regional in 2013.
Assume that the swan song season as a Big East member is 2012-13 for Orange athletics. With the athletic department not being part of the official agenda at the upcoming spring conference meetings in Florida, it seems like a logical assumption.
With a little scheduling luck (and certainly some skill), the ‘Cuse could be playing in both their final Big East Tournament, and final NCAA Tournament as a Big East original, in Madison Square Garden.
If the NCAA and the Garden can free up the dates surrounding the March 28-31 regional schedule, that’s the first choice to bring the tournament back to “The World’s Most Famous Arena” for the first time since 1961.
Until the NCAA bought the (pre and post-season) NIT in 2005 (for $40.5 million), NCAA tournament games were purposely not scheduled for MSG as to avoid any discord and potential litigation.
Now with that conflict removed, and the building to undergo the second of three summers of renovations in June that should have enough of the amenities in place to satisfy the NCAA, the folks in Indianapolis are eyeing all the additional pizzazz that comes with truly playing in the heart of the nation’s largest market.
If scheduling can’t be worked out for The Garden, the Carrier Dome, Newark’s Prudential Center, and Brooklyn’s soon-to-debut Barclays Center are the realistic alternate choices at this late date. SU is bidding to host the 2015 East Regional, but would be happy to help the NCAA out sooner if needed by hosting the event for a seventh time (1983, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2005, 2010), although that would disqualify the Orange from playing in the regional.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 79, UConn 76 - November 26, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 83, Charlotte 70 - November 25, 2015
- Orange Watch: What direction will Syracuse AD Mark Coyle take with new coach? - November 24, 2015
- Orange Watch: Yearning for Syracuse guard Sherman Douglas and the ‘alley oop’ pass - November 17, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 37 - November 14, 2015
- Orange Watch: Despite distractions surrounding future, Syracuse coach Scott Shafer plows ahead - November 11, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 17, Louisville 41 - November 7, 2015
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball is back featuring unique, dual-coach season - November 4, 2015
- Previewing Syracuse v. Florida State with WFLA-FM’s Preston Scott - October 30, 2015
- Orange Watch: Realistically, when will Syracuse football next beat Florida State? - October 27, 2015