ITEM: The SU football team will make its public debut this spring on Saturday in… Rochester?
Let’s see now, Doug Marrone’s program hasn’t won a game since Oct. 21, 2011.
The five Dome dates this fall make up one of the least attractive offerings in recent memory.
The out-of-conference schedule is the toughest in the nation, and based on the little we do know since the end of last season combined with that schedule, it’s a long road to bowl eligibility.
Now, after deciding that the best way to totally concentrate on getting the team’s foundation back on a winning track this spring is by essentially going into a bunker mentality mode, the fourth year boss wants minimal distractions and interaction with the media and fans.
That management style is better understood if the end result leads to the kind of success on the field that Orange Nation has been clamoring for. But why send your core base of fans some 75 miles down the Thruway Saturday when the only other chance to get a public peek is the annual spring game in the Dome on April 21?
It’s one thing if there were more open practices, but with only two dates it doesn’t make sense.
We don’t need to know trade secrets, but in the end it is entertainment. Orange football fans deserve a little more opportunity to show the team some love and support going into what’s going to be a challenging season.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 65, Hampton 47 - November 16, 2014
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football will only become relevant again by winning. Period. - November 4, 2014
- Orange Watch: November a big month for Syracuse basketball, football - October 31, 2014
- Orange Watch: Can Syracuse basketball duplicate last year’s victory total despite distractions? - October 21, 2014
- Orange Watch: For Syracuse football, is a minimum 4-2 finish realistic this season? - October 14, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, Florida State 38 - October 11, 2014
- Orange Watch: New Syracuse quarterback, new offensive play caller, HUGE challenge - October 7, 2014
- Orange Watch: Better execution, continued talent upgrade needed for Syracuse football - September 30, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 15, Notre Dame 31 - September 27, 2014
- Orange Watch: For Syracuse football, no time like present for ‘national relevancy’ - September 23, 2014