ITEM: The SU football team will make its public debut this spring on Saturday in… Rochester?
Let’s see now, Doug Marrone’s program hasn’t won a game since Oct. 21, 2011.
The five Dome dates this fall make up one of the least attractive offerings in recent memory.
The out-of-conference schedule is the toughest in the nation, and based on the little we do know since the end of last season combined with that schedule, it’s a long road to bowl eligibility.
Now, after deciding that the best way to totally concentrate on getting the team’s foundation back on a winning track this spring is by essentially going into a bunker mentality mode, the fourth year boss wants minimal distractions and interaction with the media and fans.
That management style is better understood if the end result leads to the kind of success on the field that Orange Nation has been clamoring for. But why send your core base of fans some 75 miles down the Thruway Saturday when the only other chance to get a public peek is the annual spring game in the Dome on April 21?
It’s one thing if there were more open practices, but with only two dates it doesn’t make sense.
We don’t need to know trade secrets, but in the end it is entertainment. Orange football fans deserve a little more opportunity to show the team some love and support going into what’s going to be a challenging season.
- Orange Watch: Syracuse Carrier Dome visitors wish list: Alabama football, Kansas basketball - February 9, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 68, Virginia Tech 60 OT - February 2, 2016
- Orange Watch: The ACC mixes up tradition for Syracuse football’s 2016 schedule - February 2, 2016
- Orange Watch: From verbal indications, Syracuse football recruiting headed upwards - January 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball see-sawing between NCAA and NIT finish - January 20, 2016
- Orange Watch: Potential exists for historically poor Syracuse basketball record - January 12, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 73, North Carolina 84 - January 9, 2016
- Orange Watch: ACC’s points allowed in bowl games bodes well for Syracuse, Dino Babers - January 5, 2016
- Orange Watch: Numbers don’t lie; Syracuse is indeed a ‘basketball school’ - December 30, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - December 27, 2015