ITEM: The SU football team will make its public debut this spring on Saturday in… Rochester?
Let’s see now, Doug Marrone’s program hasn’t won a game since Oct. 21, 2011.
The five Dome dates this fall make up one of the least attractive offerings in recent memory.
The out-of-conference schedule is the toughest in the nation, and based on the little we do know since the end of last season combined with that schedule, it’s a long road to bowl eligibility.
Now, after deciding that the best way to totally concentrate on getting the team’s foundation back on a winning track this spring is by essentially going into a bunker mentality mode, the fourth year boss wants minimal distractions and interaction with the media and fans.
That management style is better understood if the end result leads to the kind of success on the field that Orange Nation has been clamoring for. But why send your core base of fans some 75 miles down the Thruway Saturday when the only other chance to get a public peek is the annual spring game in the Dome on April 21?
It’s one thing if there were more open practices, but with only two dates it doesn’t make sense.
We don’t need to know trade secrets, but in the end it is entertainment. Orange football fans deserve a little more opportunity to show the team some love and support going into what’s going to be a challenging season.
- Orange Watch: After NCAA black eye, Syracuse to shine hosting NCAA regional - March 24, 2015
- Monumental Day for Syracuse basketball – Jim Boeheim to retire in three years - March 18, 2015
- Daryl Gross out, Pete Sala in, as new interim Syracuse athletic director - March 18, 2015
- Orange Watch: Near season’s midpoint, Syracuse lacrosse looking like team on mission - March 16, 2015
- Orange Watch: How long until Syracuse athletics wakes up from its NCAA nightmare? - March 10, 2015
- Instant Juice: NCAA suspends Boeheim, vacates 108 wins, docks Syracuse’s scholarships - March 6, 2015
- Orange Watch: If Jim Boeheim seeks 1000 victories, he’ll be coaching at Syracuse in 2017 - March 4, 2015
- Orange Watch: How have things been for Syracuse since Christmas? - February 24, 2015
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball must win once to avoid ignominious distinction - February 24, 2015
- Orange Watch: 200 victories and counting for Syracuse lacrosse coach John Desko - February 17, 2015