Confirming an earlier report from The Juice Online, Fab Melo officially declared for the NBA draft on Thursday afternoon.
“After meeting with my mother, my family and Coach Boeheim, I have decided to enter my name in to the 2012 NBA Draft,” Melo said in a statement. “Being able to play professional basketball has been my dream since I first starting playing this game and now I have the opportunity to accomplish that dream.”
Syracuse sophomore guard Dion Waiters also declared for the NBA draft in March.
Melo was named the Big East’s Defensive Player of the Year after averaging 8.3 points and 6.2 rebounds per game, with 88 blocked shots. However, Melo didn’t play in the NCAA tournament after he was declared ineligible.
Melo was also absent for three games during the regular season with a reported academic issue.
“Coach Boeheim, Coach Hopkins and the rest of the Syracuse staff have helped me develop as a player and as a man and I will always be appreciative for what they’ve done for me,” Melo said. “I wish Syracuse University, the basketball program and the Syracuse fans nothing but the best.”
NBADraft.net projects Melo as a late first round or early second round pick.
- 2016 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse G Malachi Richardson - May 25, 2016
- Former punter Brendan Carney talks Syracuse football, Riley Dixon, marathoning - May 18, 2016
- Second half rally by Syracuse lacrosse enough to silence Albany - May 16, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse, seeded No. 8 in the NCAA Tournament, will host Albany - May 9, 2016
- Colgate Raiders — 2016 Syracuse lacrosse scouting report - May 5, 2016
- What will Syracuse’s starting lineup look like in the 2016-17 season? - May 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse in final three for Taurean Thompson - May 5, 2016
- Belbey looking to add one more player to Syracuse alumni team ‘Boeheim’s Army’ - May 4, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 wing Jordan Tucker calls visit to Syracuse ‘great’ - May 4, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: CJ Holmes names Syracuse to top three, Orange offers slew of Florida prospects - May 3, 2016