Confirming an earlier report from The Juice Online, Fab Melo officially declared for the NBA draft on Thursday afternoon.
“After meeting with my mother, my family and Coach Boeheim, I have decided to enter my name in to the 2012 NBA Draft,” Melo said in a statement. “Being able to play professional basketball has been my dream since I first starting playing this game and now I have the opportunity to accomplish that dream.”
Syracuse sophomore guard Dion Waiters also declared for the NBA draft in March.
Melo was named the Big East’s Defensive Player of the Year after averaging 8.3 points and 6.2 rebounds per game, with 88 blocked shots. However, Melo didn’t play in the NCAA tournament after he was declared ineligible.
Melo was also absent for three games during the regular season with a reported academic issue.
“Coach Boeheim, Coach Hopkins and the rest of the Syracuse staff have helped me develop as a player and as a man and I will always be appreciative for what they’ve done for me,” Melo said. “I wish Syracuse University, the basketball program and the Syracuse fans nothing but the best.”
NBADraft.net projects Melo as a late first round or early second round pick.
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse extends offer to Donovan Jeter - February 8, 2016
- Bailey: Syracuse fans ‘should be happy’ with incoming 2016 football class - February 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers Joel Honigford, Jairus Grissom, Izayah Green-May, JaVont’e Richardson - February 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Scout ranks Syracuse 43rd in average class stars - February 4, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse adds impressive class on 2016 National Signing Day - February 3, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: DeVaughn Cooper to choose between Syracuse, Arizona, Arizona State - February 3, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse loses out on Stewart Reese, Josh White - February 2, 2016
- Frank Howard dazzles as Syracuse rallies to defeat Georgia Tech - February 1, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Adrian Killins visits Syracuse, sets decision date - February 1, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, Georgia Tech 57 - January 30, 2016