Confirming an earlier report from The Juice Online, Fab Melo officially declared for the NBA draft on Thursday afternoon.
“After meeting with my mother, my family and Coach Boeheim, I have decided to enter my name in to the 2012 NBA Draft,” Melo said in a statement. “Being able to play professional basketball has been my dream since I first starting playing this game and now I have the opportunity to accomplish that dream.”
Syracuse sophomore guard Dion Waiters also declared for the NBA draft in March.
Melo was named the Big East’s Defensive Player of the Year after averaging 8.3 points and 6.2 rebounds per game, with 88 blocked shots. However, Melo didn’t play in the NCAA tournament after he was declared ineligible.
Melo was also absent for three games during the regular season with a reported academic issue.
“Coach Boeheim, Coach Hopkins and the rest of the Syracuse staff have helped me develop as a player and as a man and I will always be appreciative for what they’ve done for me,” Melo said. “I wish Syracuse University, the basketball program and the Syracuse fans nothing but the best.”
NBADraft.net projects Melo as a late first round or early second round pick.
- Recruiting Roundup: Eric Coley, Allen Stritzinger, Cameron Jordan, Dakota Davis to Syracuse - June 27, 2016
- Michael Gbinije credits Syracuse coaching staff for transition to NBA - June 24, 2016
- Syracuse G Malachi Richardson: Being drafted was like ‘animal’ lifted off back - June 24, 2016
- Former Syracuse forward Michael Gbinije drafted by Detroit Pistons - June 23, 2016
- Former Syracuse forward Malachi Richardson drafted by Sacramento Kings - June 23, 2016
- Zack Mahoney — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - June 23, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 Florida WR Joshua Palmer commits to Syracuse - June 23, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from 2017 WR Nykein Johnson - June 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2017 WR Nykeim Johnson - June 21, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - June 20, 2016