Love Syracuse athletics? Want your voice and opinions to be heard? Share your opinions on the latest topics in SU sports and we’ll post it alongside the opinions of superfans Jeremy Drumm and William Johnson.
The Less Distractions, The Better
Head Coach Doug Marrone has been secretive to start the 2012 football campaign. As of late, the team practices remain closed. Nobody can be sure as to why Marrone remains so secretive about his 2012 team but as a fan, I feel like the secrecy isn’t a big deal. Marrone is a smart guy and knows his team doesn’t need any distractions. I think he is smart to be keeping a tight lock on things. The team is close to breaking through as a prominent team.
If the team held open practice in Syracuse, it would put added pressure on the team to play well. With added pressure comes mistakes both on an off the field. This team needs all the help it can get right now and I think Coach Marrone is smart to limit the exposure this team receives. Less distraction the better.
— Jeremy Drumm
Syracuse Fans Left In The Cold
Spring practices are typically open from start to finish. However, on March 20 coach Marrone closed them to tweak the way his players practiced and fine tune his system. As of right now, the first chance to see the team will be in Rochester.
I understand the purpose of scheduling a practice there, but at the expense of fans in the greater Syracuse area? Increasing goodwill and selling tickets are extremely important, but allowing another city to see your team practice first is hurtful to the local Syracuse fan base. Gaining fans in other parts of the state should be a secondary concern, not the main goal.
What will closed practices ultimately yield? The more I dwell on this bold move, the more I like the idea of opposing teams not having anything on us to start the season. My only concern is our sister city having the first opportunity to view the 2012 edition of Syracuse football.
The views and opinions expressed by the writers are theirs alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of The Juice Online or any employee thereof.
- Syracuse v. Notre Dame, 1/21/17: Predictions and analysis - January 20, 2017
- Syracuse v. Boston College, 1/14/17: Predictions and analysis - January 13, 2017
- Mixed Juice: 2016 Syracuse football predictions - August 19, 2016
- Mixed Juice: Who will start for 2016-17 Syracuse basketball? - July 29, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: Parity is the new normal - May 23, 2016
- Thoughts on athletic director Mark Coyle’s departure from Syracuse - May 12, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: ACC Tournament predictions - April 28, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Zagoria breaks down Syracuse basketball’s loss against North Carolina - April 3, 2016
- Part II — Syracuse basketball Final Four Predictions - March 31, 2016
- Syracuse basketball: Final Four Predictions Part I - March 30, 2016