Officials John Higgins, Thomas O’Neill and Michael Nance made their presence known during Syracuse’s 77-70 loss to Ohio State in the NCAA East Region Final.
The three officials blew their whistles a combined 49 times, 29 on Syracuse and 20 on the Buckeyes. It resulted in 42 trips to the line for Ohio State and 25 for the Orange.
When asked about the officiating in the game, Syracuse senior guard Scoop Jardine simply congratulated the Buckeyes.
“Without the referees they played a good game, and that’s all I’ve got to say about that,” Jardine said. “We’re not going to blame it on the refs.”
James Southerland, Aaron Kraft and Dion Waiters all fouled out. Baye Keita, Rakeem Christmas and CJ Fair each had four fouls. Besides Kraft, no other OSU player had more than three fouls.
Even SU coach Jim Boeheim picked up a foul—of the technical variety—after arguing a charging call assessed to Brandon Triche toward the end of the first half. Boeheim was not given an explanation from O’Neill.
“First one in about three years, I think,” Boeheim said.
The last time was actually on Nov. 21, 2010.
“[The foul] was assessed for being out of the coach’s box and gesturing about a call,” Higgins said in a statement after the game. He added that O’Neill said, “That was the third or fourth time, and I said ‘enough.'”
As for Boeheim’s thoughts on the officiating?
“No comment,” he said.
Even with all of the whistles, Syracuse had a shot to win the game. Despite being down by 10 in the second half, Syracuse cut the lead to a single point on two occasions, and was within three points with under a minute to go.
“I think we had a chance to win the game no matter what, with the refs or without them giving us any calls,” Jardine said. “I want to give Ohio State a lot of credit. They won the game.”
Corey Mallonee contributed with reporting from Boston.
- Clemson Tigers — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - July 27, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 defensive back Jarrett Paul to visit Syracuse on Thursday - July 26, 2016
- How will Syracuse F Michael Gbinije do with the Detroit Pistons? - July 25, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from 2017 LB Nadarius Fagan - July 25, 2016
- Boston College Eagles — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - July 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Boeheim’s Army 84, The Untouchables 91 - July 21, 2016
- Steven Clark — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - July 21, 2016
- How will Syracuse G Malachi Richardson do with the Sacramento Kings? - July 20, 2016
- Dontae Strickland — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - July 15, 2016
- Former Syracuse LB Jake Flaherty: ‘It’s an exciting time for the program’ - July 14, 2016