A quick take on Syracuse’s 77-70 loss against Ohio State in the Elite 8 of the NCAA Tournament:
WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse trailed by 10 with 13:47, but fought back to within one on two occasions including a 55-54 game with 6:52 left. But the Orange could get no closer than that, and turned the ball over four times in the closing minutes of the game. Meanwhile, Jared Sullinger scored eight points down the stretch, six from the free throw line, as the Buckeyes advanced to the Final Four.
ANALYSIS: The game was heavy on fouls, as Ohio State went to the line 42 times and both teams were in the bonus early in the second half. Three players (Dion Waiters, James Southerland and Aaron Craft) fouled out while three SU players had four fouls. The Orange was out-muscled inside, losing on the boards 39-26, and couldn’t make up for it with turnovers, as they were even with OSU with 12, and had zero fastbreak points.
HERO: Sullinger led the way with 19 points and seven rebounds. William Buford chipped in 13 points and nine boards. Brandon Triche had 15 to lead SU.
ZERO: Kris Joseph, in his final game at SU, continued his poor postseason play with just 10 points on 4 of 11 shooting. Dion Waiters, likely playing in his last game as an Orange, had nine points on 2 of 8 shooting.
WHAT’S NEXT: There will be a lot of turnover on this Syracuse team, with Joseph and Jardine playing their final games. Fab Melo and Waiters will likely not be back next year, as well.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016