Pittsburgh – A quick take on Syracuse’s 72-65 win against UNC Asheville in the second round of the NCAA Tournament:
WHAT HAPPENED: With a major upset filling the air in front of a near-capacity crowd of 18,927 in the Consol Energy Center, SU finally broke open a close game in the final six minutes to avoid being the first top-seed to lose to a 16th seed in tournament history. Four crucial free throws in the final minute, two by Scoop Jardine and two from Brandon Triche sealed the victory. Two calls that went in Syracuse’s favor in the final minute had the crowd, looking for the upset, howling in anger at the officiating.
ANALYSIS: Syracuse had its hands full with the scrappy, senior-dominated Bulldogs until James Sutherland, Kris Joseph and Scoop Jardine woke up on offense in the second half combining for 36 points in the half, and the Orange “D” tightened up inside.
HERO: James Southerland. The junior forward came off the bench to be exactly the spark the Orange needed erupting for 16 second-half points to finish with 18 and 8 rebounds. His three-point basket with under 3:00 to play gave the ‘Cuse an eight-point lead which the Orange held.
ZERO: The Orange three point shooting, 1-13 (7%) in the first half, and the defense against the Bulldogs three pointers. UNC-Asheville shot 40% from beyond the arc.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will play Kansas State Saturday at the “Consol” in the Round of 32. K-State won the day’s earlier match-up with S. Miss. 70-64. It will be the first meeting between the two teams in the NCAA Tournament since 1975, when in thrilling fashion SU beat the Wildcats in overtime to win the East Regional and advance to the school’s first Final Four appearance in San Diego.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 68, North Carolina 85 - January 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Jim Boeheim took 11 years to win consecutive NCAA games at Syracuse - January 10, 2017
- Orange Watch: ACC flexes its bowl game muscles with Syracuse on outside looking in - January 4, 2017
- Orange Watch: Can the Syracuse basketball team salvage its season? - December 27, 2016
- Orange Watch: What would the reaction be if a Syracuse player sat out a bowl game? - December 23, 2016
- Orange Watch: Still hard to figure how Syracuse basketball will fare come ACC play - December 21, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 105, Eastern Michigan 57 - December 19, 2016
- Orange Watch: Pearl Washington and the once fierce Syracuse-Georgetown rivalry - December 13, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, Wisconsin 77 - November 29, 2016
- Orange Watch: Our thought process behind selecting the 2016 All ACC football team - November 29, 2016