Pittsburgh – A quick take on Syracuse’s 72-65 win against UNC Asheville in the second round of the NCAA Tournament:
WHAT HAPPENED: With a major upset filling the air in front of a near-capacity crowd of 18,927 in the Consol Energy Center, SU finally broke open a close game in the final six minutes to avoid being the first top-seed to lose to a 16th seed in tournament history. Four crucial free throws in the final minute, two by Scoop Jardine and two from Brandon Triche sealed the victory. Two calls that went in Syracuse’s favor in the final minute had the crowd, looking for the upset, howling in anger at the officiating.
ANALYSIS: Syracuse had its hands full with the scrappy, senior-dominated Bulldogs until James Sutherland, Kris Joseph and Scoop Jardine woke up on offense in the second half combining for 36 points in the half, and the Orange “D” tightened up inside.
HERO: James Southerland. The junior forward came off the bench to be exactly the spark the Orange needed erupting for 16 second-half points to finish with 18 and 8 rebounds. His three-point basket with under 3:00 to play gave the ‘Cuse an eight-point lead which the Orange held.
ZERO: The Orange three point shooting, 1-13 (7%) in the first half, and the defense against the Bulldogs three pointers. UNC-Asheville shot 40% from beyond the arc.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will play Kansas State Saturday at the “Consol” in the Round of 32. K-State won the day’s earlier match-up with S. Miss. 70-64. It will be the first meeting between the two teams in the NCAA Tournament since 1975, when in thrilling fashion SU beat the Wildcats in overtime to win the East Regional and advance to the school’s first Final Four appearance in San Diego.
- Orange Watch: Look for Carrier Dome renovation plans to be announced by year’s end - October 6, 2015
- Orange Watch: One third complete, Syracuse football season on track for a bowl game - September 29, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, LSU 34 - September 26, 2015
- Orange Watch: The Syracuse-LSU game chance for rare breakthrough victory - September 22, 2015
- Orange Watch: Only winning will return fans to Carrier Dome for Syracuse football - September 15, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 30, Wake Forest 17 - September 12, 2015
- Orange Watch: A youth movement for Syracuse football only one game into the season - September 8, 2015
- Orange Watch: Part II – 2015 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 31, 2015
- Orange Watch: Part I, 2015 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 25, 2015
- Orange Watch: Will Jim Boeheim really coach Syracuse basketball three more seasons? - August 11, 2015