NEW YORK – Syracuse rebounded from its first loss of the season with a 9-8 win over St. John’s.
WHAT HAPPENED: With the game tied at eight with under two minutes left, St. John’s goalie Jeff Lowman intercepted an errant pass from Kevin Drew behind the net. But when Lowman went to clear, he lost the ball right in front of the net and SU attackman Tim Desko scooped it up and scored with 1:25 left. Syracuse appeared to be in control for good after it won the faceoff on the ensuing play, but JoJo Marasco was leveled with no call from the officials. That gave Charlie Holsenstein a chance to tie with 28 seconds left, but Dominic Lamolinara stopped the shot, preserving a close win.
WHAT IT MEANS: With its previous game against No. 1 Virginia and the following game against No. 2 Johns Hopkins, No. 6 Syracuse narrowly avoided a trap game in Queens. Syracuse won dispute giving up give five extra-man opportunities and losing 13-8 in faceoffs. But the Orange outshot the Red Storm 37-28, including 12-6 in the third quarter, when a pair of goals tied the game and gave SU momentum after it trailed going into half. It was a sloppy game for both teams, as they combined for 35 turnovers.
QUOTE TO NOTE: “We came off the Virginia loss last week and we’ve got the Blue Jays the next week. We were thinking about the last game and we were thinking ahead a little bit.” –Syracuse coach John Desko
STAR GAZING: Tim Desko, Derek Maltz and Bobby Eilers all had a pair of goals for SU. Lowman notched 15 saves for the Red Storm.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will play at Johns Hopkins on March 17 at 4 p.m. TV: ESPNU.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016