A quick take on Syracuse’s 71-68 loss against Cincinnati:
WHAT HAPPENED: Down by as many as 17 points in the first half, and double digits out of intermission, the Orange managed to rally and closed to within 58-55 with 3:09 left. Cincinnati appeared to close out the game, taking a seven point lead with 36 seconds left, but the Orange closed to within two points with 17 seconds left after Dion Waiters hit a 3. JaQuon Parker missed one of two free throws giving SU a final chance, but Waiters was fouled for only two free throws, and the Bearcats hung on.
ANALYSIS: The Bearcats built a huge lead in the first half, hitting 8-of-10 shots from downtown and half of their shots fro the field. Cincinnati cooled off significantly in the second half, managing only two 3s in the second half, but the Orange could never take the lead after giving up 18 offensive rebounds and hitting just 50 percent of its free throws.
HERO: Kilpatrick led the way with 18 points, and was one of four Bearcat players in double digits. Dion Waiters had 27 for SU.
ZERO: Scoop Jardine had five turnovers and just six points before fouling out.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange will next play in the NCAA tournament, likely in Pittsburgh as a No. 1 seed.
- Recruiting Roundup: Decision day for Hugh Davis, Syracuse re-offers Jo-El Shaw - May 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 running back Jawhar Jordan commits to Syracuse - May 25, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Marek Dolezaj to Syracuse, Meechi Harris narrows list to nine - May 24, 2017
- 2017 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon - May 23, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017