A quick take on Syracuse’s 71-68 loss against Cincinnati:
WHAT HAPPENED: Down by as many as 17 points in the first half, and double digits out of intermission, the Orange managed to rally and closed to within 58-55 with 3:09 left. Cincinnati appeared to close out the game, taking a seven point lead with 36 seconds left, but the Orange closed to within two points with 17 seconds left after Dion Waiters hit a 3. JaQuon Parker missed one of two free throws giving SU a final chance, but Waiters was fouled for only two free throws, and the Bearcats hung on.
ANALYSIS: The Bearcats built a huge lead in the first half, hitting 8-of-10 shots from downtown and half of their shots fro the field. Cincinnati cooled off significantly in the second half, managing only two 3s in the second half, but the Orange could never take the lead after giving up 18 offensive rebounds and hitting just 50 percent of its free throws.
HERO: Kilpatrick led the way with 18 points, and was one of four Bearcat players in double digits. Dion Waiters had 27 for SU.
ZERO: Scoop Jardine had five turnovers and just six points before fouling out.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange will next play in the NCAA tournament, likely in Pittsburgh as a No. 1 seed.
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Chris Carlson on the NIT, 2017 basketball recruiting, Greensboro - March 17, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, UNC Greensboro 77 - March 15, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse basketball left out of NCAA Tournament - March 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse surges, sputters, then hangs on for win against St. John’s - March 12, 2017
- Jim Boeheim pleads case for Syracuse after ACC Tournament loss - March 9, 2017
- Syracuse coach says there’s ‘no value’ in playing ACC Tournament in Greensboro - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, Miami 62 - March 8, 2017