Syracuse forward Kris Joseph called his performance “terrible” as the Orange edged South Florida 56-48 on Wednesday night.
Joseph finished with 12 points on nine rebounds, but had an off-shooting night, going 5-for-17 from the field. He also went 0-for-2 from downtown and 2-for-5 from the free throw line.
“I played a terrible game,” Joseph said. “But I was able to get some things done in the final stretch.”
Joseph was referring to a pair of hard earned baskets with under five minutes left and the Orange trying to hold off a feisty USF comeback.
With Syracuse leading 50-44 with 4:41 remaining, Kris Joseph got in the lane, and missed a layup with Toarlyn Fitzpatrick guarding the hoop. But Joseph corralled his own miss and stuck in the putback to give the Orange an eight point lead.
On SU’s ensuing possession, Joseph again rebounded and tipped in his own miss, dashing any hopes for a Bulls’ upset.
“I thought the game came down to Kris making two unbelievable rebounding efforts, physical rebounds inside to get the ball back on his drives,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “He made the two plays of the game right there.”
On a team with multiple go-to players, Joseph is certainly in the short list of players to take the critical shot.
“That’s why we go to him when the game is on the line, because he’s going to deliver for us,” guard Scoop Jardine said. “That’s what he’s here for. I’ll call his number anytime and I know he’s going to deliver for us. Today, he did.”
Corey Mallonee contributed to this story with reporting from Syracuse.
- McAnaney: Syracuse lacrosse a tough out because it is ‘battle tested’ - April 28, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse finds familiar result in one-goal win against Binghamton - April 22, 2017
- Syracuse stumbles out of the gate, but rallies to defeat North Carolina - April 16, 2017
- Mettus: Syracuse lacrosse ‘the team to beat’ right now - April 14, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse flexes its muscles, pushing past Cornell - April 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse enjoys rare rout, easily dispatching Hobart - April 6, 2017
- 2016-17 Syracuse basketball report card - April 3, 2017
- An early look at the 2017-18 Syracuse basketball team - March 31, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017