According to Syracuse Deputy Athletics Director Herman Frazier, the Orange is one game away from finishing its 2012 football schedule.
Speaking to The Juice Online after SU’s basketball win over Rutgers Sunday afternoon in Piscataway, N.J., Frazier said “all options are on the table” when it comes to that 12th game, including the possibility that the Orange will face a fourth non-conference game against a team from a BCS conference, joining Northwestern and Minnesota from the Big Ten and the Pac 12’s Southern California.
Frazier wouldn’t discuss the finalization of securing what would have been the last team needed to fill out the schedule prior to West Virginia’s departure to the Big 12 earlier this month, or discuss any specific schools for the remaining spots, saying only that “the conferences (ACC and Big East offices) are fully involved at this point.” But Frazier’s reference to needing only one school to fill out the schedule made clear a deal has been reached for 11 of the 12 games.
Future ACC colleague Florida State is one of the 14 FBS schools that has an opening on its 2012 schedule, losing a game with West Virginia when the Mountaineers moved westward into a previously finalized Big 12 schedule. Fellow future ACC colleague Pittsburgh could also be in the mix to face the Seminoles, they were left in the same position as the ‘Cuse, needing an extra game with the recent shifting of conference affiliations altering the face of the Big East.
- Orange Watch: How have things been for Syracuse since Christmas? - February 24, 2015
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball must win once to avoid ignominious distinction - February 24, 2015
- Orange Watch: 200 victories and counting for Syracuse lacrosse coach John Desko - February 17, 2015
- Orange Watch: Defense Jim Boeheim talking about not just famed Syracuse zone - February 9, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Pittsburgh 83 - February 7, 2015
- Orange Watch: ACC TV contract makes it hard at times to follow Syracuse basketball, football - February 2, 2015
- Orange Watch: No place like Dome highlights early 2015 Syracuse football schedule - January 29, 2015
- Orange Watch: Could Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim be in for first losing season? - January 28, 2015
- Orange Watch: Interesting week to watch how Syracuse basketball bounces back - January 20, 2015
- Orange Watch: Syracuse eyes another inductee into Pro Football Hall of Fame - January 13, 2015