Syracuse finished preseason play by defeating Maryland 11-9 and then losing to Canisius 11-10 in the following game.
WHAT HAPPENED: Freshman Kevin Rice scored his second goal with 16 seconds left to cap a furious Syracuse rally against Maryland. The goal gave Syracuse its first lead of the day and proved to be eventual game winner. The Orange went into halftime trailing 6-2 and was down by two with 3:08 remaining. But the Orange would score four unanswered goals from there, as Scott Loy, Bobby Eilers, Rice and Ricky Buhr all found the back of the net.
WHAT IT MEANS: The Orange has some work to do on faceoffs. Although SU won the last five faceoffs of the game and went six for eight in the fourth quarter, the Orange also started the game by losing eight of 13. As for the goalies, Matt Lerman started the game, and could only stop two of the eight shots he faced. Former Terp Dom Lamolinara played in the second half, tallying five saves.
STAR GAZING: Matt Pratt had three assists while Eilers had a pair of goals and an assist to lead SU.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse opens its season on Sun., Feb. 19 at 2 p.m. against Albany in the Carrier Dome. TV: TWCS/SNY.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 7, Pitt 30 - November 22, 2014
- Kaleb Joseph shows growth as Syracuse edges Iowa - November 22, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Iowa 63 - November 21, 2014
- Star 2015 forward Thomas Bryant to visit Kentucky — Cuse Clicks - November 21, 2014
- In loss to Cal, Syracuse basketball’s inexperience shows - November 21, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 59, California 73 - November 20, 2014
- Thomas Bryant considering Syracuse, Indiana and Missouri — Cuse Clicks - November 20, 2014
- Lake Forest Academy DL Wesley Annan commits to Stanford — Cuse Clicks - November 19, 2014
- Syracuse commit Moustapha Diagne among elite recruits at Burger King Classic — Cuse Clicks - November 17, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 89, Kennesaw State 42 - November 14, 2014