Syracuse finished preseason play by defeating Maryland 11-9 and then losing to Canisius 11-10 in the following game.
WHAT HAPPENED: Freshman Kevin Rice scored his second goal with 16 seconds left to cap a furious Syracuse rally against Maryland. The goal gave Syracuse its first lead of the day and proved to be eventual game winner. The Orange went into halftime trailing 6-2 and was down by two with 3:08 remaining. But the Orange would score four unanswered goals from there, as Scott Loy, Bobby Eilers, Rice and Ricky Buhr all found the back of the net.
WHAT IT MEANS: The Orange has some work to do on faceoffs. Although SU won the last five faceoffs of the game and went six for eight in the fourth quarter, the Orange also started the game by losing eight of 13. As for the goalies, Matt Lerman started the game, and could only stop two of the eight shots he faced. Former Terp Dom Lamolinara played in the second half, tallying five saves.
STAR GAZING: Matt Pratt had three assists while Eilers had a pair of goals and an assist to lead SU.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse opens its season on Sun., Feb. 19 at 2 p.m. against Albany in the Carrier Dome. TV: TWCS/SNY.
- Scoop Bradshaw — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - June 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: NJ wide receiver Taj Harris commits to Syracuse - June 26, 2017
- Breaking down Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon’s selection by the Denver Nuggets - June 23, 2017
- Former Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon selected by Denver Nuggets in NBA Draft - June 22, 2017
- Central Michigan Chippewas — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 22, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse receives commitment from OL Will Froumy - June 21, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Cole Swider to visit Syracuse, Anthony Queeley commits - June 19, 2017
- Antwan Cordy — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - June 14, 2017
- Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 12, 2017
- Weekend Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands USF transfer Geno Thorpe - June 12, 2017