Syracuse finished preseason play by defeating Maryland 11-9 and then losing to Canisius 11-10 in the following game.
WHAT HAPPENED: Freshman Kevin Rice scored his second goal with 16 seconds left to cap a furious Syracuse rally against Maryland. The goal gave Syracuse its first lead of the day and proved to be eventual game winner. The Orange went into halftime trailing 6-2 and was down by two with 3:08 remaining. But the Orange would score four unanswered goals from there, as Scott Loy, Bobby Eilers, Rice and Ricky Buhr all found the back of the net.
WHAT IT MEANS: The Orange has some work to do on faceoffs. Although SU won the last five faceoffs of the game and went six for eight in the fourth quarter, the Orange also started the game by losing eight of 13. As for the goalies, Matt Lerman started the game, and could only stop two of the eight shots he faced. Former Terp Dom Lamolinara played in the second half, tallying five saves.
STAR GAZING: Matt Pratt had three assists while Eilers had a pair of goals and an assist to lead SU.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse opens its season on Sun., Feb. 19 at 2 p.m. against Albany in the Carrier Dome. TV: TWCS/SNY.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, Boston College 17 - November 28, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Texas A&M 67 - November 27, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Florida teammates Whittaker, Hawkins hold Syracuse offers - November 27, 2015
- NCAA Appeals Committee restores four scholarships to Syracuse basketball - November 25, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Taurean Thompson likes Syracuse, picks up NC State offer - November 25, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: How does Shafer firing affect Syracuse recruits? - November 24, 2015
- Syracuse fires football coach Scott Shafer - November 23, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse one of two recruiting Taurean Thompson hardest - November 23, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Elon 55 - November 21, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 29, NC State 42 - November 21, 2015