Fresh off a win against its archrival, Georgetown, Syracuse will host another rival, Connecticut, at the Carrier Dome on Saturday.
HUSKIE WOES: When Connecticut takes the floor against Syracuse on Saturday, they will be without Jim Calhoun, their hall-of-fame coach. He has taken an indefinite medical leave because of spinal stenosis, a painful back condition. Calhoun has missed the last two games against Seton Hall and Louisville and may miss even more of his coaching duties under a Connecticut proposal to allow the Huskies to play in the 2013 NCAA tournament. UConn has been below par on academic standards and would face a postseason ban. Under that threat, Connecticut has offered to reduce the number of games it plays along with not allowing Calhoun to recruit in the fall. It was more bad news for the Huskies, who has lost five of its last six games, and is currently 15-8 (5-6 Big East).
SCOUTING THE HUSKIES: Guard Jeremy Lamb leads the Huskies in scoring at 17.2 points per game. Center Andre Drummond is one of the top defensive players in the Big East, averaging 9.7 points, 7.5 rebounds and 2.6 blocks a game.
IN CONNECTICUT’S LAST GAME: Chris Smith scored 16 points and added six rebounds as Louisville routed Connecticut 80-79. The Huskies couldn’t get it going on offense, as they shot 35.1 percent from the field and 3-for-14 from downtown.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse leads the all-time series between these two games 51-36. The last time these two teams met, Kemba Walker scored 33 points and 12 rebounds to lead the Huskies to a 76-71 win in the semifinals of the Big East Tournament.
GAME INFORMATION: Sat, Feb. 11, 1:00 p.m. Syracuse, NY. TV: CBS. Follow us on Twitter @thejuiceonline for live game updates.
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Brandon Randolph includes Syracuse in final four - September 13, 2016