Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim took sole possession of third place on the all-time wins list with a 64-61 win over Georgetown on Wednesday night.
The win was his 880th, and he trails only Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski (919) and former Indiana coach Bob Knight (902) on that list.
But Boeheim wasn’t in a mood to gloat about his record.
“I’m upset with this team right now,” Boeheim said. “We’ll address all that another time.”
Specifically, Boeheim was upset that his team was outrebounded by the Hoyas 52-35. Georgetown crashed the offensive boards and came up with 23 of them. That led to 13 second chance points.
“For a long time this year, we were within a couple, two or three rebounds, I don’t think I was concerned about rebounding that much,” Boeheim said. “But when it gets to 10, 15, 20, you better be concerned. Right now, we’re just not a rebounding team. I think that’s something that we will see what we can do about it.”
Still, Boeheim wasn’t completely upset.
“I’m happy to get this win,” Boeheim said. “I just don’t think about those goals […] I just want to play this season and this do as well as they can do. That’s all that matters to me.”
At 24-1, Boeheim seems to have accomplished his goals so far.
“All he does is win,” guard Brandon Triche said. “He’s a great coach, and I’m happy to be a part of his legacy.”
- Tim Welsh calls Syracuse an NCAA Tournament team that could play into second weekend - December 9, 2017
- Matt Moyer gives Syracuse basketball hope after disappointing start - December 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Connecticut 63 - December 5, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, Kansas 72 - December 2, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Maryland 70 - November 27, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Toledo 64 - November 22, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017