Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim took sole possession of third place on the all-time wins list with a 64-61 win over Georgetown on Wednesday night.
The win was his 880th, and he trails only Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski (919) and former Indiana coach Bob Knight (902) on that list.
But Boeheim wasn’t in a mood to gloat about his record.
“I’m upset with this team right now,” Boeheim said. “We’ll address all that another time.”
Specifically, Boeheim was upset that his team was outrebounded by the Hoyas 52-35. Georgetown crashed the offensive boards and came up with 23 of them. That led to 13 second chance points.
“For a long time this year, we were within a couple, two or three rebounds, I don’t think I was concerned about rebounding that much,” Boeheim said. “But when it gets to 10, 15, 20, you better be concerned. Right now, we’re just not a rebounding team. I think that’s something that we will see what we can do about it.”
Still, Boeheim wasn’t completely upset.
“I’m happy to get this win,” Boeheim said. “I just don’t think about those goals […] I just want to play this season and this do as well as they can do. That’s all that matters to me.”
At 24-1, Boeheim seems to have accomplished his goals so far.
“All he does is win,” guard Brandon Triche said. “He’s a great coach, and I’m happy to be a part of his legacy.”
- McAnaney: Syracuse lacrosse a tough out because it is ‘battle tested’ - April 28, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse finds familiar result in one-goal win against Binghamton - April 22, 2017
- Syracuse stumbles out of the gate, but rallies to defeat North Carolina - April 16, 2017
- Mettus: Syracuse lacrosse ‘the team to beat’ right now - April 14, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse flexes its muscles, pushing past Cornell - April 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse enjoys rare rout, easily dispatching Hobart - April 6, 2017
- 2016-17 Syracuse basketball report card - April 3, 2017
- An early look at the 2017-18 Syracuse basketball team - March 31, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017