Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim took sole possession of third place on the all-time wins list with a 64-61 win over Georgetown on Wednesday night.
The win was his 880th, and he trails only Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski (919) and former Indiana coach Bob Knight (902) on that list.
But Boeheim wasn’t in a mood to gloat about his record.
“I’m upset with this team right now,” Boeheim said. “We’ll address all that another time.”
Specifically, Boeheim was upset that his team was outrebounded by the Hoyas 52-35. Georgetown crashed the offensive boards and came up with 23 of them. That led to 13 second chance points.
“For a long time this year, we were within a couple, two or three rebounds, I don’t think I was concerned about rebounding that much,” Boeheim said. “But when it gets to 10, 15, 20, you better be concerned. Right now, we’re just not a rebounding team. I think that’s something that we will see what we can do about it.”
Still, Boeheim wasn’t completely upset.
“I’m happy to get this win,” Boeheim said. “I just don’t think about those goals […] I just want to play this season and this do as well as they can do. That’s all that matters to me.”
At 24-1, Boeheim seems to have accomplished his goals so far.
“All he does is win,” guard Brandon Triche said. “He’s a great coach, and I’m happy to be a part of his legacy.”
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Central Connecticut State 7 - September 1, 2017