Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim took sole possession of third place on the all-time wins list with a 64-61 win over Georgetown on Wednesday night.
The win was his 880th, and he trails only Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski (919) and former Indiana coach Bob Knight (902) on that list.
But Boeheim wasn’t in a mood to gloat about his record.
“I’m upset with this team right now,” Boeheim said. “We’ll address all that another time.”
Specifically, Boeheim was upset that his team was outrebounded by the Hoyas 52-35. Georgetown crashed the offensive boards and came up with 23 of them. That led to 13 second chance points.
“For a long time this year, we were within a couple, two or three rebounds, I don’t think I was concerned about rebounding that much,” Boeheim said. “But when it gets to 10, 15, 20, you better be concerned. Right now, we’re just not a rebounding team. I think that’s something that we will see what we can do about it.”
Still, Boeheim wasn’t completely upset.
“I’m happy to get this win,” Boeheim said. “I just don’t think about those goals […] I just want to play this season and this do as well as they can do. That’s all that matters to me.”
At 24-1, Boeheim seems to have accomplished his goals so far.
“All he does is win,” guard Brandon Triche said. “He’s a great coach, and I’m happy to be a part of his legacy.”
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016