Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim took sole possession of third place on the all-time wins list with a 64-61 win over Georgetown on Wednesday night.
The win was his 880th, and he trails only Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski (919) and former Indiana coach Bob Knight (902) on that list.
But Boeheim wasn’t in a mood to gloat about his record.
“I’m upset with this team right now,” Boeheim said. “We’ll address all that another time.”
Specifically, Boeheim was upset that his team was outrebounded by the Hoyas 52-35. Georgetown crashed the offensive boards and came up with 23 of them. That led to 13 second chance points.
“For a long time this year, we were within a couple, two or three rebounds, I don’t think I was concerned about rebounding that much,” Boeheim said. “But when it gets to 10, 15, 20, you better be concerned. Right now, we’re just not a rebounding team. I think that’s something that we will see what we can do about it.”
Still, Boeheim wasn’t completely upset.
“I’m happy to get this win,” Boeheim said. “I just don’t think about those goals […] I just want to play this season and this do as well as they can do. That’s all that matters to me.”
At 24-1, Boeheim seems to have accomplished his goals so far.
“All he does is win,” guard Brandon Triche said. “He’s a great coach, and I’m happy to be a part of his legacy.”
- NCAA Appeals Committee restores four scholarships to Syracuse basketball - November 25, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Taurean Thompson likes Syracuse, picks up NC State offer - November 25, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: How does Shafer firing affect Syracuse recruits? - November 24, 2015
- Syracuse fires football coach Scott Shafer - November 23, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse one of two recruiting Taurean Thompson hardest - November 23, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Elon 55 - November 21, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 29, NC State 42 - November 21, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Judge Culpepper, brother of Rex, picks up Syracuse offer - November 20, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Tyus Battle calls Syracuse signing ’emotional’ - November 19, 2015
- 2018 defensive back Jarrett Paul describes ‘great’ visit to Syracuse - November 19, 2015