NEW YORK — Syracuse forward Kris Joseph stuffed the stat sheet with 14 points, eight rebounds and four assists in SU’s 95-70 rout against St. John’s. He also contributed six offensive rebounds.
“I thought this was the most active he’s been all year,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “He got on the boards, got a couple of offensive rebound baskets.”
That helped Syracuse bounce back from a game when they were dominated on the boards by West Virginia 36-20. Against the Red Storm, Syracuse cleaned the glass 42 times to St. John’s 31.
Joseph’s aggression on the interior helped offset another poor outside shooting night. Joseph missed both of his 3-point attempts, dropping him to just 3-for-37 from downtown over his last eight games. Prior to Big East play, Joseph was shooting 42 percent from beyond the arc.
Still, Joseph has found a way to stay productive during his prolonged shooting slump.
Down 5-0 with 16:49 left in the first half, Joseph provided a steady presence to help the Orange take control of the game.
He found CJ Fair on a nice look for an open jumper to pull SU within one. Two plays later, Joseph slammed home a shot after he rebounded a Scoop Jardine miss. It gave SU a 10-7 lead, and the Orange would never look back.
It was a microcosm of the afternoon Joseph had.
“Those big plays let other big plays happen,” Joseph said. “We were in rhythm and flow of the game, and everything was fine after that.”
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017