NEW YORK — Syracuse guard Dion Waiters competed with fellow guard Michael Carter-Williams for dunk of the game during the second half of Syracuse’s 95-70 win over St. John’s on Saturday.
One play after Carter-Williams’ crowd-pleasing tomahawk jam over St. John’s forward God’sgift Achiuwa, Waiters had a highlight dunk of his own. James Southerland had just stolen the ball and fed it to Waiters, who had an unimpeded path to the basket.
Waiters threw down his patented dunk, bringing the ball wide to his right before slamming the ball violently through the rim. Waiters’ basket gave SU a 70-46 lead with 9:16 left as the rout was on.
“Both are great dunks,” Carter-Williams said. “Dion gets one of those a game. He’s a great dunker.”
The impact had the same effect as Carter-Williams’ shot, bringing the pro-Syracuse crowd to its feet for the second time in less than a minute. The Garden hummed for several minutes afterward.
“It got me hyped,” Waiters said. “I tried to come down and duplicate what he did.”
It was a welcome sign for Waiters, who had struggled in his previous three games. Against West Virginia, Cincinnati and Notre Dame, Waiters had averaged 7.0 points on 7-for-28 shooting.
Against the Red Storm, Waiters busted out of his slump with 14 points, going 5-for-9 from the field and 2-for-5 from downtown. He also contributed four assists and four rebounds.
“The shots that I was making, I was missing,” Waiters said. “I just got in the gym extra. I went overtime, and it pays at the end of the day.”
- McAnaney: Days of Syracuse lacrosse as lock for Final Four are over - May 26, 2016
- 2016 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse G Malachi Richardson - May 25, 2016
- Former punter Brendan Carney talks Syracuse football, Riley Dixon, marathoning - May 18, 2016
- Second half rally by Syracuse lacrosse enough to silence Albany - May 16, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse, seeded No. 8 in the NCAA Tournament, will host Albany - May 9, 2016
- Colgate Raiders — 2016 Syracuse lacrosse scouting report - May 5, 2016
- What will Syracuse’s starting lineup look like in the 2016-17 season? - May 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse in final three for Taurean Thompson - May 5, 2016
- Belbey looking to add one more player to Syracuse alumni team ‘Boeheim’s Army’ - May 4, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 wing Jordan Tucker calls visit to Syracuse ‘great’ - May 4, 2016