NEW YORK — Another win. Another milestone.
Syracuse’s 95-70 victory over St. John’s on Saturday afternoon was Orange head coach Jim Boeheim’s 879th career win, tying him for third place on the victory list with former North Carolina coach Dean Smith.
He trails only Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski (919) and former Indiana coach Bob Knight (902) on that list. All four coaches are in the Basketball Hall of Fame.
“It’s great,” Boeheim said. “It’s a great honor.”
But as it has been throughout his whole coaching career, Boeheim was quick to deflect attention from his own accolades.
“We’re focused on trying to get to the next game,” Boeheim said. “That’s what we’re going to continue to try to do.”
Boeheim won No. 879 much in the same way he won his other 878 games—with his defense. The Orange held St. John’s to 30.8 percent shooting in the first half.
“We were active and I thought our overall defense was good,” Boeheim said. “I thought our defense was good early.”
Meanwhile, the Orange shot 55.7 percent for the game, and cruised to a victory in front of a mostly Orange-clad 19,979 in Madison Square Garden.
Boeheim can take sole possession of third place when SU hosts Georgetown on Wednesday at the Carrier Dome.
“That’s a great accomplishment for him,” forward Kris Joseph said. “I’m proud of him because he works hard, just as much as we do. So, that’s a great thing and I’m happy for him.”
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017