NEW YORK — Another win. Another milestone.
Syracuse’s 95-70 victory over St. John’s on Saturday afternoon was Orange head coach Jim Boeheim’s 879th career win, tying him for third place on the victory list with former North Carolina coach Dean Smith.
He trails only Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski (919) and former Indiana coach Bob Knight (902) on that list. All four coaches are in the Basketball Hall of Fame.
“It’s great,” Boeheim said. “It’s a great honor.”
But as it has been throughout his whole coaching career, Boeheim was quick to deflect attention from his own accolades.
“We’re focused on trying to get to the next game,” Boeheim said. “That’s what we’re going to continue to try to do.”
Boeheim won No. 879 much in the same way he won his other 878 games—with his defense. The Orange held St. John’s to 30.8 percent shooting in the first half.
“We were active and I thought our overall defense was good,” Boeheim said. “I thought our defense was good early.”
Meanwhile, the Orange shot 55.7 percent for the game, and cruised to a victory in front of a mostly Orange-clad 19,979 in Madison Square Garden.
Boeheim can take sole possession of third place when SU hosts Georgetown on Wednesday at the Carrier Dome.
“That’s a great accomplishment for him,” forward Kris Joseph said. “I’m proud of him because he works hard, just as much as we do. So, that’s a great thing and I’m happy for him.”
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Chris Carlson on the NIT, 2017 basketball recruiting, Greensboro - March 17, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, UNC Greensboro 77 - March 15, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse basketball left out of NCAA Tournament - March 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse surges, sputters, then hangs on for win against St. John’s - March 12, 2017
- Jim Boeheim pleads case for Syracuse after ACC Tournament loss - March 9, 2017
- Syracuse coach says there’s ‘no value’ in playing ACC Tournament in Greensboro - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, Miami 62 - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, Georgia Tech 61 - March 4, 2017