NEW YORK — Another win. Another milestone.
Syracuse’s 95-70 victory over St. John’s on Saturday afternoon was Orange head coach Jim Boeheim’s 879th career win, tying him for third place on the victory list with former North Carolina coach Dean Smith.
He trails only Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski (919) and former Indiana coach Bob Knight (902) on that list. All four coaches are in the Basketball Hall of Fame.
“It’s great,” Boeheim said. “It’s a great honor.”
But as it has been throughout his whole coaching career, Boeheim was quick to deflect attention from his own accolades.
“We’re focused on trying to get to the next game,” Boeheim said. “That’s what we’re going to continue to try to do.”
Boeheim won No. 879 much in the same way he won his other 878 games—with his defense. The Orange held St. John’s to 30.8 percent shooting in the first half.
“We were active and I thought our overall defense was good,” Boeheim said. “I thought our defense was good early.”
Meanwhile, the Orange shot 55.7 percent for the game, and cruised to a victory in front of a mostly Orange-clad 19,979 in Madison Square Garden.
Boeheim can take sole possession of third place when SU hosts Georgetown on Wednesday at the Carrier Dome.
“That’s a great accomplishment for him,” forward Kris Joseph said. “I’m proud of him because he works hard, just as much as we do. So, that’s a great thing and I’m happy for him.”
- Recruiting Roundup: Could Bo Peek transfer help Syracuse football? - August 4, 2015
- Weekend Recruiting Roundup: Impact of Moe Neal selecting Syracuse football - August 3, 2015
- Boeheim’s Army general manager says Syracuse team will return in 2016 - July 31, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 RB Kevin Mensah puts Syracuse football in his top six - July 31, 2015
- Devon Clark commits, but Syracuse football apparently doesn’t accept — Cuse Clicks - July 30, 2015
- Syracuse football picks up commitment from 2016 DE Jamal Holloway — Cuse Clicks - July 29, 2015
- Louisville Cardinals — 2015 Syracuse Football preview - July 29, 2015
- Moe Neal to choose between Syracuse, Wake Forest — Cuse Clicks - July 28, 2015
- Jamal Holloway to choose between Syracuse, three others on Tuesday — Cuse Clicks - July 27, 2015
- Julian Whigham — Meet the 2015 Syracuse Football team - July 23, 2015