Aside from both being in Syracuse’s 2012 NLI class, Myles Davis and Devante McFarland have one other thing in common—their versatility.
Both Davis and McFarland played multiple positions in high school, and that is one of the biggest reasons why Syracuse recruited them.
“Those are the things that we’re looking for, diversity in the athletes, then figuring out where they can step in and help us right away,” Syracuse coach Doug Marrone said. “That’s the most important thing.”
Davis played linebacker at Milford Academy, but is expected shift to the fullback position this spring.
Davis enrolled at Syracuse in January after initially signing an NLI with Syracuse in 2010, joining Ashton Broyld as recruits that are already taking classes. He is coming back from an ACL injury.
In 2010, Davis had 10.5 tackles, including 6.5 for a loss of yards.
“He worked extremely hard, and was all set to come and had a very difficult injury,” Marrone said. “He was a very good linebacker and very good fullback in high school, we talked to him about playing fullback, and that’s where we expect him to play when spring ball starts.”
As for McFarlane, the Half Hollows Hills West High School product will have plenty of options. As a senior, he rushed 70 times for 754 yards and 12 touchdowns and also recorded 11 receptions for 221 yards.
“He can play linebacker, safety and running back,” Marrone said. “Obviously, he’s an outstanding athlete.”
Still, plenty will change between now and when Syracuse starts the 2012 season.
“When the freshmen come in in the fall,” Marrone said, “we’ll reevaluate it again and put them where we need to.”
- Boston College Eagles — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - July 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Boeheim’s Army 84, The Untouchables 91 - July 21, 2016
- Steven Clark — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - July 21, 2016
- How will Syracuse G Malachi Richardson do with the Sacramento Kings? - July 20, 2016
- Dontae Strickland — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - July 15, 2016
- Former Syracuse LB Jake Flaherty: ‘It’s an exciting time for the program’ - July 14, 2016
- Virginia Tech Hokies — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - July 13, 2016
- Three takeaways from John Wildhack’s introductory press conference at Syracuse - July 12, 2016
- Ervin Philips — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - July 7, 2016
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - July 6, 2016