Aside from both being in Syracuse’s 2012 NLI class, Myles Davis and Devante McFarland have one other thing in common—their versatility.
Both Davis and McFarland played multiple positions in high school, and that is one of the biggest reasons why Syracuse recruited them.
“Those are the things that we’re looking for, diversity in the athletes, then figuring out where they can step in and help us right away,” Syracuse coach Doug Marrone said. “That’s the most important thing.”
Davis played linebacker at Milford Academy, but is expected shift to the fullback position this spring.
Davis enrolled at Syracuse in January after initially signing an NLI with Syracuse in 2010, joining Ashton Broyld as recruits that are already taking classes. He is coming back from an ACL injury.
In 2010, Davis had 10.5 tackles, including 6.5 for a loss of yards.
“He worked extremely hard, and was all set to come and had a very difficult injury,” Marrone said. “He was a very good linebacker and very good fullback in high school, we talked to him about playing fullback, and that’s where we expect him to play when spring ball starts.”
As for McFarlane, the Half Hollows Hills West High School product will have plenty of options. As a senior, he rushed 70 times for 754 yards and 12 touchdowns and also recorded 11 receptions for 221 yards.
“He can play linebacker, safety and running back,” Marrone said. “Obviously, he’s an outstanding athlete.”
Still, plenty will change between now and when Syracuse starts the 2012 season.
“When the freshmen come in in the fall,” Marrone said, “we’ll reevaluate it again and put them where we need to.”
- Recruiting Roundup: Decision day for Hugh Davis, Syracuse re-offers Jo-El Shaw - May 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 running back Jawhar Jordan commits to Syracuse - May 25, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Marek Dolezaj to Syracuse, Meechi Harris narrows list to nine - May 24, 2017
- 2017 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon - May 23, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017