Aside from both being in Syracuse’s 2012 NLI class, Myles Davis and Devante McFarland have one other thing in common—their versatility.
Both Davis and McFarland played multiple positions in high school, and that is one of the biggest reasons why Syracuse recruited them.
“Those are the things that we’re looking for, diversity in the athletes, then figuring out where they can step in and help us right away,” Syracuse coach Doug Marrone said. “That’s the most important thing.”
Davis played linebacker at Milford Academy, but is expected shift to the fullback position this spring.
Davis enrolled at Syracuse in January after initially signing an NLI with Syracuse in 2010, joining Ashton Broyld as recruits that are already taking classes. He is coming back from an ACL injury.
In 2010, Davis had 10.5 tackles, including 6.5 for a loss of yards.
“He worked extremely hard, and was all set to come and had a very difficult injury,” Marrone said. “He was a very good linebacker and very good fullback in high school, we talked to him about playing fullback, and that’s where we expect him to play when spring ball starts.”
As for McFarlane, the Half Hollows Hills West High School product will have plenty of options. As a senior, he rushed 70 times for 754 yards and 12 touchdowns and also recorded 11 receptions for 221 yards.
“He can play linebacker, safety and running back,” Marrone said. “Obviously, he’s an outstanding athlete.”
Still, plenty will change between now and when Syracuse starts the 2012 season.
“When the freshmen come in in the fall,” Marrone said, “we’ll reevaluate it again and put them where we need to.”
- Recruiting Roundup: Taurean Thompson visits Rutgers, plans Syracuse trip - September 3, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse football active as open contact period starts - September 2, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Who will Syracuse pursue now that Robert Washington is out? - September 1, 2015
- Weekend Recruiting Roundup: Impact of Robert Washington decommiting from Syracuse - August 31, 2015
- Rercruiting Roundup: Syracuse target Cycoby Burch will take officials before commiting - August 28, 2015
- Adelson: Syracuse football faces tough road to bowl game in 2015 - August 28, 2015
- Antwan Cordy — Meet the 2015 Syracuse Football team - August 27, 2015
- Rercruiting Roundup: Is the door open for Moustapha Diagne at Syracuse? - August 26, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Cycoby Burch to choose between Syracuse, three others - August 25, 2015
- Weekend Recruiting Roundup: Decommitted Amir Watts speaking to Syracuse - August 24, 2015