Multiple sources have told The Juice Online that Fab Melo will be back in the lineup when the Orange play St. John’s Saturday in a noon tip-off at Madison Square Garden. The sources spoke on the condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim thought that Melo might be cleared to play last Saturday against West Virginia, but those sources said the university held up some paperwork at the last minute to be completely sure that all requirements were in place to secure his return to game action.
A break in the schedule had the Orange only playing three games in a nearly two-week stretch, the three games Melo missed while sorting through academic responsibilities. The Orange went 2-1 in Melo’s absence, including their first loss of the season, 67-58 at Notre Dame Jan. 21.
“Can somebody tell @scoopjardine that #lobcity is back,” Melo later wrote on his Twitter account.
Melo is currently avergaging 7.3 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.9 blocks in 17 games.
- Mixed Juice: 2016 Syracuse football predictions - August 19, 2016
- Mixed Juice: Who will start for 2016-17 Syracuse basketball? - July 29, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: Parity is the new normal - May 23, 2016
- Thoughts on athletic director Mark Coyle’s departure from Syracuse - May 12, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: ACC Tournament predictions - April 28, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Zagoria breaks down Syracuse basketball’s loss against North Carolina - April 3, 2016
- Part II — Syracuse basketball Final Four Predictions - March 31, 2016
- Syracuse basketball: Final Four Predictions Part I - March 30, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim discusses win over Virginia - March 28, 2016
- A look at the Sweet 16 - March 23, 2016