Confirming a report that The Juice Online first published the afternoon of the Villanova game in Philadelphia on Jan. 11, the SU athletic department announced this afternoon that Fab Melo will not play today against Notre Dame or Monday at Cincinnati.
The university in its statement did not release the reason for Melo’s absence, citing federal student privacy laws, but numerous sources have told The Juice Online over the past three weeks that the sophomore center was in danger of losing his eligibility because of academic issues, specifically not fulfilling attendance requirements for certain classes. Those sources spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.
The university said that Melo could return to the team this season.
In addition, the university announced in an unrelated matter that junior guard Mookie Jones has left school for personal reasons. The statement did not elaborate further citing privacy requirements.
Melo has played every game this season and is currently averaging 7.2 points and 5.7 rebounds a game. Jones played in seven games this season averaging 2.0 points, but scored 10 points in his last appearance on Jan. 14 against Providence.
- Syracuse v. Clemson Football Predictions - October 13, 2017
- Syracuse v. Pittsburgh Football Predictions - October 6, 2017
- Do moral victories mean anything for Syracuse football? - September 26, 2017
- Syracuse v. LSU Football Predictions - September 20, 2017
- Syracuse v. Central Michigan Football Predictions - September 15, 2017
- Syracuse v. Middle Tennessee State Predictions - September 8, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Lacrosse Championship: Syracuse predictions - May 9, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse: 2017 ACC championship predictions - April 27, 2017
- Mixed Juice: Reactions to Syracuse missing 2017 NCAA Tournament - March 13, 2017
- Has Syracuse basketball done enough to make the NCAA Tournament? - March 10, 2017