Confirming a report that The Juice Online first published the afternoon of the Villanova game in Philadelphia on Jan. 11, the SU athletic department announced this afternoon that Fab Melo will not play today against Notre Dame or Monday at Cincinnati.
The university in its statement did not release the reason for Melo’s absence, citing federal student privacy laws, but numerous sources have told The Juice Online over the past three weeks that the sophomore center was in danger of losing his eligibility because of academic issues, specifically not fulfilling attendance requirements for certain classes. Those sources spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.
The university said that Melo could return to the team this season.
In addition, the university announced in an unrelated matter that junior guard Mookie Jones has left school for personal reasons. The statement did not elaborate further citing privacy requirements.
Melo has played every game this season and is currently averaging 7.2 points and 5.7 rebounds a game. Jones played in seven games this season averaging 2.0 points, but scored 10 points in his last appearance on Jan. 14 against Providence.
- Mixed Juice: 2016 Syracuse football predictions - August 19, 2016
- Mixed Juice: Who will start for 2016-17 Syracuse basketball? - July 29, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: Parity is the new normal - May 23, 2016
- Thoughts on athletic director Mark Coyle’s departure from Syracuse - May 12, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: ACC Tournament predictions - April 28, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Zagoria breaks down Syracuse basketball’s loss against North Carolina - April 3, 2016
- Part II — Syracuse basketball Final Four Predictions - March 31, 2016
- Syracuse basketball: Final Four Predictions Part I - March 30, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim discusses win over Virginia - March 28, 2016
- A look at the Sweet 16 - March 23, 2016