A quick take on Syracuse’s 71-63 win against Pittsburgh:
WHAT HAPPENED: The Orange jumped out to a 13-0 lead and lead by as many as 14 points in the second half before a 15-5 Pitt run brought the Panthers to within 53-49 with 8:39 left. But SU immediately responded, as Kris Joseph and Dion Waiters hit 3-pointers on back to back plays, and Syracuse lead by at least eight points the rest of the way. With the win, SU coach Jim Boeheim notched his 876th win, tying Adolph Rupp for fourth place all-time among Division I coaches. Syracuse also improved to 20-0, the best start in school history.
ANALYSIS: The game had the makings of a blow out when the Orange jumped out to a 13-0 lead, but the Panthers hung around, and never trailed by more than 14 points. They did that by dominating the Orange on the boards (38-24) and limiting their turnovers (13). SU also looked uncomfortable in its halfcourt set, and frequently settled for perimeter jumpers. The Orange was just 5-for-18 from downtown. But there is no such thing as a bad win against Pittsburgh, something the Orange hadn’t done since the 2006 Big East tournament. It was also the first time Syracuse notched a win at the Dome against the Panthers since 2003.
HERO: Syracuse once again had balanced scoring, as Kris Joseph (12), Brandon Triche (12), Scoop Jardine (12), Fab Melo (10) and Dion Waiters (13) were all in double figures.
ZERO: Nasir Robinson was 1-for-5 from the field and 2-for-8 from the free throw line for four points. It was symptomatic of the whole team, as the Panthers were 12-for-23 from the charity stripe. Pittsburgh is now 0-6 in conference play for the first time in school history.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will travel to South Bend, IN to play Notre Dame on Sat., Jan 21 at 6:00 p.m. TV: ESPN.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016