SU Director of Athletic Communications Pete Moore stated in an email on Wednesday that SU center Fab Melo is academically eligible, has been at practice and traveled with the team to Philadelphia for Syracuse’s game against Villanova.
“If a student-athlete was academically ineligible, he would not be traveling,” Moore said.
Melo was in the lineup against Villanova and finished with five points and five rebounds in 18 minutes.
Moore was responding to several sources, who told The Juice that Melo was suspended because of academic issues. The sources spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.
Melo has started all 17 of Syracuse’s game this season, and has improved significantly across the board. He is currently avergaging 7.3 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.9 blocks per game. Melo was named preseason Big East rookie of the year in his freshman season, but struggled throughout the year, averaging 2.3 points and 1.9 rebounds in just 9.9 minutes a game.
- Syracuse lacrosse: ACC Tournament predictions - April 28, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Zagoria breaks down Syracuse basketball’s loss against North Carolina - April 3, 2016
- Part II — Syracuse basketball Final Four Predictions - March 31, 2016
- Syracuse basketball: Final Four Predictions Part I - March 30, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim discusses win over Virginia - March 28, 2016
- A look at the Sweet 16 - March 23, 2016
- 2016 NCAA Tournament: Predictions for Syracuse basketball - March 17, 2016
- Freshmen struggle in loss - February 18, 2016
- Mixed Juice: Dino Babers a home run hire for Syracuse football - December 7, 2015
- Mixed Juice: Reaction to Syracuse firing football coach Scott Shafer - November 23, 2015