SU Director of Athletic Communications Pete Moore stated in an email on Wednesday that SU center Fab Melo is academically eligible, has been at practice and traveled with the team to Philadelphia for Syracuse’s game against Villanova.
“If a student-athlete was academically ineligible, he would not be traveling,” Moore said.
Melo was in the lineup against Villanova and finished with five points and five rebounds in 18 minutes.
Moore was responding to several sources, who told The Juice that Melo was suspended because of academic issues. The sources spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.
Melo has started all 17 of Syracuse’s game this season, and has improved significantly across the board. He is currently avergaging 7.3 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.9 blocks per game. Melo was named preseason Big East rookie of the year in his freshman season, but struggled throughout the year, averaging 2.3 points and 1.9 rebounds in just 9.9 minutes a game.
- Mixed Juice: Dino Babers a home run hire for Syracuse football - December 7, 2015
- Mixed Juice: Reaction to Syracuse firing football coach Scott Shafer - November 23, 2015
- Syracuse Odds Update on the 2015-16 NCAA Basketball Season - November 20, 2015
- Orange in the NBA - October 29, 2015
- Syracuse football: Defense & Special Teams report card through four games - October 7, 2015
- Syracuse football: Offense report card through four games - October 5, 2015
- Mixed Juice: What is the impact of Syracuse losing Moustapha Diagne? - August 24, 2015
- What is the significance of Syracuse football restoring 44? - May 22, 2015
- Early 2015-16 Odds Update on the Orange - May 22, 2015
- 2015 NCAA Tournament predictions: Syracuse lacrosse will win it all - May 7, 2015