SU Director of Athletic Communications Pete Moore stated in an email on Wednesday that SU center Fab Melo is academically eligible, has been at practice and traveled with the team to Philadelphia for Syracuse’s game against Villanova.
“If a student-athlete was academically ineligible, he would not be traveling,” Moore said.
Melo was in the lineup against Villanova and finished with five points and five rebounds in 18 minutes.
Moore was responding to several sources, who told The Juice that Melo was suspended because of academic issues. The sources spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.
Melo has started all 17 of Syracuse’s game this season, and has improved significantly across the board. He is currently avergaging 7.3 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.9 blocks per game. Melo was named preseason Big East rookie of the year in his freshman season, but struggled throughout the year, averaging 2.3 points and 1.9 rebounds in just 9.9 minutes a game.
- Syracuse v. Notre Dame, 1/21/17: Predictions and analysis - January 20, 2017
- Syracuse v. Boston College, 1/14/17: Predictions and analysis - January 13, 2017
- Mixed Juice: 2016 Syracuse football predictions - August 19, 2016
- Mixed Juice: Who will start for 2016-17 Syracuse basketball? - July 29, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: Parity is the new normal - May 23, 2016
- Thoughts on athletic director Mark Coyle’s departure from Syracuse - May 12, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: ACC Tournament predictions - April 28, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Zagoria breaks down Syracuse basketball’s loss against North Carolina - April 3, 2016
- Part II — Syracuse basketball Final Four Predictions - March 31, 2016
- Syracuse basketball: Final Four Predictions Part I - March 30, 2016