SU Director of Athletic Communications Pete Moore stated in an email on Wednesday that SU center Fab Melo is academically eligible, has been at practice and traveled with the team to Philadelphia for Syracuse’s game against Villanova.
“If a student-athlete was academically ineligible, he would not be traveling,” Moore said.
Melo was in the lineup against Villanova and finished with five points and five rebounds in 18 minutes.
Moore was responding to several sources, who told The Juice that Melo was suspended because of academic issues. The sources spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.
Melo has started all 17 of Syracuse’s game this season, and has improved significantly across the board. He is currently avergaging 7.3 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.9 blocks per game. Melo was named preseason Big East rookie of the year in his freshman season, but struggled throughout the year, averaging 2.3 points and 1.9 rebounds in just 9.9 minutes a game.
- Syracuse v. NC State: Predictions and analysis - March 6, 2015
- Syracuse v. Virginia: Predictions and analysis - March 2, 2015
- Trevor Cooney not worried after horrid night shooting - February 19, 2015
- Syracuse v. Louisville: Predictions and analysis - February 18, 2015
- Happy Valentine’s Day from 2014-15 Syracuse basketball - February 14, 2015
- Syracuse v. Boston College: Predictions and analysis - February 11, 2015
- Syracuse legend Pearl Washington on post-season ban: ‘It’s sad’ - February 9, 2015
- Syracuse v. Virginia Tech: Predictions and analysis - February 3, 2015
- Syracuse v. Florida State: Predictions and analysis - January 9, 2015
- Keys for Syracuse against Cal in NCAA basketball - November 19, 2014