Fab Melo had six points and eight rebounds in 18 minutes of action before fouling out in Syracuse’s 72-66 win over Marquette on Saturday afternoon. Syracuse improved to 17-0 on the season and 4-0 in the Big East. Here’s what he had to say during postgame:
Q. You had a 23-point lead at one point in the first half and then Marquette got to within two. How did Marquette get back into the game?
A. I knew they were driving all of the time and getting on fastbreaks. We were getting a lot of fouls and putting them on the line all the time. That’s how they came back.
Q. Was it difficult being in foul trouble the entire afternoon and having to sit on the bench?
A. Of course you have to watch the game a little bit. You can’t get stupid fouls like I did on that elbow. I didn’t understand what happened. I just go hard like coach says, and don’t worry about fouls. And that’s what I did.
Q. Tell us more about that elbow that you were whistled for a flagrant foul.
A. I don’t know what happened. They said I elbowed the guy but I didn’t see it happen, I didn’t feel it. (I only noticed) when I saw he was on the floor.
Q. Dion Waiters had a key block late in the game on Darius Johnson-Odom as he attempted a 3-pointer. How big was that?
A. He got it. He saved us at the end of the game. If (Johnson-Odom) had that shot, we would’ve been in a pretty bad situation.
- Could energy, effort really be difference in Syracuse’s last two games? - January 9, 2017
- Taurean Thompson, wanting more, gives Syracuse hope - December 29, 2016
- Tyler Lydon shines, even if Syracuse basketball does not - December 19, 2016
- Syracuse’s Dajuan Coleman credits practice, opportunity for career high - December 5, 2016
- Gbinije’s big shot, steady presence, key for Syracuse in win over Virginia Tech - February 4, 2016
- Chinoso Obokoh displays offensive abilities as Syracuse defeats Montana State - December 23, 2015
- Tyler Lydon tantalizes as Syracuse moves to 2-0 - November 18, 2015
- Kaleb Joseph provides spark off bench in new role for Syracuse - November 8, 2015
- Syracuse 47, Virginia 59: The Photos - March 2, 2015
- Why Syracuse’s post-season ban doesn’t affect Rakeem Christmas’ NBA draft stock - February 13, 2015