Syracuse defensive end Chandler Jones declared for the 2012 NFL draft, he announced in his Twitter account on Friday afternoon at 3:30 p.m. The redshirt junior had one year of eligibility remaining.
“I have decided to forego my final football season at Syracuse University and enter the 2012 NFL draft,” Jones said via Twitter. He also added that he would be graduating from Syracuse in May.
Jones was named to the All Big East First Team this season after amassing 38 tackles (30 solo) and 4.5 sacks. Jones missed five games due to a lower body injury, but returned against West Virginia and led the Orange to a 49-23 win over West Virginia with six solo tackles and two sacks for a loss of 19 yards.
He is ninth on both the SU record for career tackles by a down lineman (147) and career tackles for a loss (27.0).
Jones is the brother of Baltimore Ravens defensive tackle Arthur Jones and UFC fighter Jon “Bones” Jones.
“I just want to thank all the Cuse fans, alum, teammates, & coaches for supporting me those 3yrs,” Jones Tweeted after the announcement.
- Mixed Juice: 2016 Syracuse football predictions - August 19, 2016
- Mixed Juice: Who will start for 2016-17 Syracuse basketball? - July 29, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: Parity is the new normal - May 23, 2016
- Thoughts on athletic director Mark Coyle’s departure from Syracuse - May 12, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: ACC Tournament predictions - April 28, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Zagoria breaks down Syracuse basketball’s loss against North Carolina - April 3, 2016
- Part II — Syracuse basketball Final Four Predictions - March 31, 2016
- Syracuse basketball: Final Four Predictions Part I - March 30, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim discusses win over Virginia - March 28, 2016
- A look at the Sweet 16 - March 23, 2016