Syracuse is considered to have one of the best benches this season, a team that can go 10 deep on any night.
But Matt Tomaszewski thinks the number is a little higher than that. Tomaszewski and the rest of the walk-ons have a name for themselves.
“We call ourselves ‘Top Shelf,'” Tomaszewski said to reporters following the game.
If SU’s third string is top shelf, then Tomaszewski’s nickname could be “Top Gun.”
The senior walk-on is a perfect 4-for-4 this season from downtown, and 7-for-7 in his SU career. Tomaszewski’s latest trey came with 1:49 left against Tulane, and put the Orange up 76-52 in Syracuse’s final non-conference game of the season.
“I’m just happy to be in there,” Tomaszewski said. “If they pass me the ball, and I’m open, I’m going to shoot it.”
The Orange would go on to win 80-61, and finish a perfect 13-0 against non-Big East teams.
Tomaszewski was the first walk-on to enter the game today, and played the final three minutes of the game.
The senior spent two years playing JUCO basketball at Tampa, and was a starter by his sophomore year. He averaged 6.2 points and 3.8 rebounds, and was third on the team in shooting from long range.
Now, he’s the top long distance shooter (percentage-wise, that is) on the No. 1 team in the country, topping even Kris Joseph.
“If ever there is a situation where we’re down two with like three seconds left, he’s the guy,” Joseph said. “Seven for seven in his career, can’t beat that.”
Said Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim: “The kid can shoot, can’t he?”
He sure can.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016