A quick take on Syracuse’s 88-72 win against North Carolina State:
WHAT HAPPENED: It was a game of runs. The Orange used a 23-0 run in the first half to take a 47-33 lead going into halftime. But the Wolfpack quickly erased the lead in the second half, storming out of intermission with a 13-1 run. NC State eventually tied the game at 54 after CJ Williams emphatically put back a Scott Wood missed 3-pointer. But faced with its first true road test of the season, SU made the final run of the game. This time it was an 11-2 run fueled by a pair of Scoop Jardine 3-pointers that put the Orange up 74-63, and in control for the rest of the game.
ANALYSIS: There has been so much made about how Syracuse hasn’t played a “true” road game in the past three years. Well, the Orange played one, and it passed the test. Two separate times, the Orange withstood runs from a spirited NC State team and was able to keep its composure and take (or retake) the lead. Syracuse’s bench also played a major role in the game, as James Southerland and Dion Waiters led the first Syracuse run. But Syracuse’s two veterans, Jardine and Joseph, took over down the stretch, as the Orange will survive its first week at the No. 1 spot.
HERO: Plenty of heroes for Syracuse across the line. Joseph (21), Jardine (16), Waiters (22) and Fair (11) were all in double digits for the Orange.
ZERO: Scott Wood, a dangerous sharpshooter, was held in check, as he was 2-for-6 from downtown for eight points.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange will play Bucknell on Tuesday in Syracuse, NY at 7 p.m. on Time Warner Cable Sports/SNY.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016