Floyd VanHooser, a career criminal who is currently serving a 16 years to life sentence for burglary, told the Syracuse Post-Standard that former Orange assistant basketball coach Bernie Fine sexually molested him at the age of 14.
From the Post-Standard report:
“Fine first forced VanHooser to masturbate him when VanHooser was a young teenager, VanHooser said. That was before SU hired Fine as a coach. Fine was working as a Syracuse city school district basketball coach.
VanHooser said the sexual contact continued over four decades. VanHooser said he told Syracuse police about three incidents – in 1998, 2001 and 2011 – when Fine pressured him to perform oral sex and later gave VanHooser money.”
VanHooser becomes the fourth man to accuse Fine of sexually molesting them an early age.
Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick held a press conference last week to say that his office couldn’t prosecute the cases for the the two initial accusers—Bobby Davis and Michael Lang—because the statute of limitations had run.
Fitzpatrick also alluded to a potential fourth accuser that was a persistent felon and serving a life sentence, but didn’t disclose the name of the accuser. Fitzpatrick also said that the alleged fourth accuser wasn’t found to be credible.
The allegations of the first three accusers led to Fine’s dismissal as the Syracuse associate head basketball coach on Nov. 27. Fine was in his 36th season with SU.
No criminal charges have been filed against him. Previously, a statement issued by Fine called the allegations of the first two accusers “patently false.”
- Mixed Juice: Reaction to Syracuse firing football coach Scott Shafer - November 23, 2015
- Syracuse Odds Update on the 2015-16 NCAA Basketball Season - November 20, 2015
- Orange in the NBA - October 29, 2015
- Syracuse football: Defense & Special Teams report card through four games - October 7, 2015
- Syracuse football: Offense report card through four games - October 5, 2015
- Mixed Juice: What is the impact of Syracuse losing Moustapha Diagne? - August 24, 2015
- What is the significance of Syracuse football restoring 44? - May 22, 2015
- Early 2015-16 Odds Update on the Orange - May 22, 2015
- 2015 NCAA Tournament predictions: Syracuse lacrosse will win it all - May 7, 2015
- Michael Carter-Williams gets hit twice as Bucks eliminated - May 1, 2015