Long time Syracuse assistant coach Bernie Fine was fired late Sunday night amid child molestation allegations, the University announced.
“At the direction of Chancellor Cantor, Bernie Fine’s employment with Syracuse University has been terminated, effective immediately,” said a statement from Kevin Quinn, Senior Vice President for Public Affairs at SU.
Fine has been investigated by officials over the past two weeks for allegedly molesting two team ball boys—Bobby Davis, and his stepbrother Mike Lang—in the 1980s and 90s.
Fine previously said in a statement that the allegations were “patently false.”
Originally, the associate coach had been placed on administrative leave before the decision to fire him was made Sunday.
Fine had been an assistant under head coach Jim Boeheim for the past 35 years.
The firing came the same day that two additional damaging pieces of news were released by the Syracuse Post-Standard and ESPN.
The ESPN report involved a recorded telephone conversation between Bobby Davis, the man who first accused Fine of molesting him, and Fine’s wife, Laurie, back in 2002, where Laurie acknowledged Fine’s conduct.
Around the same time ESPN released the audio tape, the Post-Standard reported that a third man, Zach Tomaselli, was also molested by Fine in 2002.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017