Long time Syracuse assistant coach Bernie Fine was fired late Sunday night amid child molestation allegations, the University announced.
“At the direction of Chancellor Cantor, Bernie Fine’s employment with Syracuse University has been terminated, effective immediately,” said a statement from Kevin Quinn, Senior Vice President for Public Affairs at SU.
Fine has been investigated by officials over the past two weeks for allegedly molesting two team ball boys—Bobby Davis, and his stepbrother Mike Lang—in the 1980s and 90s.
Fine previously said in a statement that the allegations were “patently false.”
Originally, the associate coach had been placed on administrative leave before the decision to fire him was made Sunday.
Fine had been an assistant under head coach Jim Boeheim for the past 35 years.
The firing came the same day that two additional damaging pieces of news were released by the Syracuse Post-Standard and ESPN.
The ESPN report involved a recorded telephone conversation between Bobby Davis, the man who first accused Fine of molesting him, and Fine’s wife, Laurie, back in 2002, where Laurie acknowledged Fine’s conduct.
Around the same time ESPN released the audio tape, the Post-Standard reported that a third man, Zach Tomaselli, was also molested by Fine in 2002.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016