A quick take on Syracuse’s 30-13 loss against Cincinnati:
WHAT HAPPENED: The Bearcats scored 17 seconds into the 2nd half on their first play from scrimmage following a 73-yard kickoff return, with Isaiah Pead dancing in from 24 yards out, to completely put the momentum in UC’s favor. Pead sent the disappointingly small Carrier Dome crowd to the exits with a 70 yard TD reception with 9:13 left in the 4th quarter to essentially end matters.
ANALYSIS: This was not a good day for the SU football program. Not only did the Orange not come ready to play with so much on the line, the defense couldn’t contain the UC quarterback combination of Munchie Legaux and backup Jordan Luallen. Luallen burned the Orange for 80 yards rushing changing up the offensive tempo. SU had one decent scoring drive in the 2nd half but it was far too little, too late.
HERO: The Bearcats senior running back Pead was a force all afternoon, finishing with 75 yards on the ground and nine catches for 113 yards and 2 TD’s.
ZERO: The Orange football program and its fans. From the players to coaching staff, with bowl eligibility on the line on Senior Day, nobody showed up either ready to play, or root their team on. Yes, it was 55 degrees in Syracuse on Nov. 26, but no excuse for a better crowd (announced at 38,159 but thousands fewer in the building) when they were practically giving tickets away.
WHAT’S NEXT: Sorry to be negative, but does anyone really think SU (5-6) will reach .500 and bowl eligibility next week at Pittsburgh (noon kickoff) by beating the Panthers for the first time since 2004 in the regular season finale?
- Orange Watch: Syracuse’s Carrier Dome is not a dump, it is a building that’s simply outdated - March 30, 2015
- Orange Watch: After NCAA black eye, Syracuse to shine hosting NCAA regional - March 24, 2015
- Monumental Day for Syracuse basketball – Jim Boeheim to retire in three years - March 18, 2015
- Daryl Gross out, Pete Sala in, as new interim Syracuse athletic director - March 18, 2015
- Orange Watch: Near season’s midpoint, Syracuse lacrosse looking like team on mission - March 16, 2015
- Orange Watch: How long until Syracuse athletics wakes up from its NCAA nightmare? - March 10, 2015
- Instant Juice: NCAA suspends Boeheim, vacates 108 wins, docks Syracuse’s scholarships - March 6, 2015
- Orange Watch: If Jim Boeheim seeks 1000 victories, he’ll be coaching at Syracuse in 2017 - March 4, 2015
- Orange Watch: How have things been for Syracuse since Christmas? - February 24, 2015
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball must win once to avoid ignominious distinction - February 24, 2015