A quick take on Syracuse’s 30-13 loss against Cincinnati:
WHAT HAPPENED: The Bearcats scored 17 seconds into the 2nd half on their first play from scrimmage following a 73-yard kickoff return, with Isaiah Pead dancing in from 24 yards out, to completely put the momentum in UC’s favor. Pead sent the disappointingly small Carrier Dome crowd to the exits with a 70 yard TD reception with 9:13 left in the 4th quarter to essentially end matters.
ANALYSIS: This was not a good day for the SU football program. Not only did the Orange not come ready to play with so much on the line, the defense couldn’t contain the UC quarterback combination of Munchie Legaux and backup Jordan Luallen. Luallen burned the Orange for 80 yards rushing changing up the offensive tempo. SU had one decent scoring drive in the 2nd half but it was far too little, too late.
HERO: The Bearcats senior running back Pead was a force all afternoon, finishing with 75 yards on the ground and nine catches for 113 yards and 2 TD’s.
ZERO: The Orange football program and its fans. From the players to coaching staff, with bowl eligibility on the line on Senior Day, nobody showed up either ready to play, or root their team on. Yes, it was 55 degrees in Syracuse on Nov. 26, but no excuse for a better crowd (announced at 38,159 but thousands fewer in the building) when they were practically giving tickets away.
WHAT’S NEXT: Sorry to be negative, but does anyone really think SU (5-6) will reach .500 and bowl eligibility next week at Pittsburgh (noon kickoff) by beating the Panthers for the first time since 2004 in the regular season finale?
- Orange Watch: November a big month for Syracuse basketball, football - October 31, 2014
- Orange Watch: Can Syracuse basketball duplicate last year’s victory total despite distractions? - October 21, 2014
- Orange Watch: For Syracuse football, is a minimum 4-2 finish realistic this season? - October 14, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, Florida State 38 - October 11, 2014
- Orange Watch: New Syracuse quarterback, new offensive play caller, HUGE challenge - October 7, 2014
- Orange Watch: Better execution, continued talent upgrade needed for Syracuse football - September 30, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 15, Notre Dame 31 - September 27, 2014
- Orange Watch: For Syracuse football, no time like present for ‘national relevancy’ - September 23, 2014
- Orange Watch: From 0-2 to 2-0, what a difference a year makes for Syracuse football - September 16, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 40, Central Michigan 3 - September 13, 2014