Syracuse safety Phillip Thomas has been suspended for one year, the University announced on Friday.
The junior from Miami was suspended for an undisclosed violation of athletics department policy, likely ending his SU career. No further details were offered.
Thomas had been one of SU’s top defenders this season, leading the team with 82 tackles (54 solo) in 10 games. He also led the Big East with six interceptions.
Sophomore Jeremi Wilkes and senior Olando Fisher will likely fill in for Thomas.
The move comes as Syracuse is in a bye week, and has lost three straight games as it struggles to become bowl eligible. The Orange will next host Cincinnati on Nov. 26 before traveling to Pittsburgh to close the season on Dec. 3.
- Syracuse v. Miami Football Predictions - October 20, 2017
- Syracuse v. Clemson Football Predictions - October 13, 2017
- Syracuse v. Pittsburgh Football Predictions - October 6, 2017
- Do moral victories mean anything for Syracuse football? - September 26, 2017
- Syracuse v. LSU Football Predictions - September 20, 2017
- Syracuse v. Central Michigan Football Predictions - September 15, 2017
- Syracuse v. Middle Tennessee State Predictions - September 8, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Lacrosse Championship: Syracuse predictions - May 9, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse: 2017 ACC championship predictions - April 27, 2017
- Mixed Juice: Reactions to Syracuse missing 2017 NCAA Tournament - March 13, 2017