In another blow to the Big East, multiple outlets are reporting that TCU will spurn the Big East and accept an invitation to join the Big 12 Conference.
The move is potentially a fatal blow to the Big East, as Syracuse and Pittsburgh announced they were leaving for the ACC last month.
With the three schools leaving, the Big East is down to six football teams and 14 basketball schools. A minimum of seven teams is needed to retain an automatic BCS bowl bid.
TCU will need to pay a $5 million exit fee to the Big East, but doesn’t need to wait the two-year exit period because the school was never a full-fledged member.
Although the Big East is in serious jeopardy right now, the conference has been rumored to be interested in Navy, Army, Air Force, Temple, East Carolina and Central Florida. Additionally, Villanova could become an FBS team in football.
- Mixed Juice: 2016 Syracuse football predictions - August 19, 2016
- Mixed Juice: Who will start for 2016-17 Syracuse basketball? - July 29, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: Parity is the new normal - May 23, 2016
- Thoughts on athletic director Mark Coyle’s departure from Syracuse - May 12, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: ACC Tournament predictions - April 28, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Zagoria breaks down Syracuse basketball’s loss against North Carolina - April 3, 2016
- Part II — Syracuse basketball Final Four Predictions - March 31, 2016
- Syracuse basketball: Final Four Predictions Part I - March 30, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim discusses win over Virginia - March 28, 2016
- A look at the Sweet 16 - March 23, 2016