Syracuse coach Doug Marrone expressed some excitement, but mostly deferred on the topic of SU’s acceptance into the Atlantic Coast Conference during the Big East weekly conference call.
“I’m excited for the university and our athletic program and our student athletes,” Marrone said. “Joining the Atlantic Coast Conference puts us in a strong position for the future. The ACC has strong schools academically and athletically, and I look forward to competing against them.”
But when probed further about his thoughts, Marrone punted on his analysis of the conference change until the end of the season.
“I’ve told my coaches and I’ve told my players not to comment on it,” Marrone said. “We have a tough task ahead in the season and that’s what we need to concentrate on.
“Don’t look at that as if we’re not excited about it. We’re extremely excited about it and after the season’s over, I’d be more than happy to open it up and talk about it as much as anyone wants to talk about it.”
The initial reports of Syracuse’s defection to the ACC came on Saturday prior to Syracuse’s 38-17 loss against USC. They were confirmed less than a day later, when both Syracuse and Pittsburgh announced on Sunday they were leaving the conference.
The news sent shockwaves throughout college athletics, but Marrone was clear in his message to his players.
“If we’re worried about things we can’t control, we’re in trouble,” Marrone said. “Not just conference expansion but anything else.”
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017