Syracuse coach Doug Marrone expressed some excitement, but mostly deferred on the topic of SU’s acceptance into the Atlantic Coast Conference during the Big East weekly conference call.
“I’m excited for the university and our athletic program and our student athletes,” Marrone said. “Joining the Atlantic Coast Conference puts us in a strong position for the future. The ACC has strong schools academically and athletically, and I look forward to competing against them.”
But when probed further about his thoughts, Marrone punted on his analysis of the conference change until the end of the season.
“I’ve told my coaches and I’ve told my players not to comment on it,” Marrone said. “We have a tough task ahead in the season and that’s what we need to concentrate on.
“Don’t look at that as if we’re not excited about it. We’re extremely excited about it and after the season’s over, I’d be more than happy to open it up and talk about it as much as anyone wants to talk about it.”
The initial reports of Syracuse’s defection to the ACC came on Saturday prior to Syracuse’s 38-17 loss against USC. They were confirmed less than a day later, when both Syracuse and Pittsburgh announced on Sunday they were leaving the conference.
The news sent shockwaves throughout college athletics, but Marrone was clear in his message to his players.
“If we’re worried about things we can’t control, we’re in trouble,” Marrone said. “Not just conference expansion but anything else.”
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Brandon Randolph includes Syracuse in final four - September 13, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 28, Louisville 62 - September 9, 2016