Syracuse’s season ended in disappointing fashion on Sunday as Maryland (12-4) defeated the Orange (15-2) 6-5 in overtime of the NCAA quarterfinals.
HOW THE GAME WAS WON: The Orange trailed 5-4 with 65 seconds left and managed to force overtime when Jovan Miller drove down the left side and scored. SU won the ensuing faceoff and called timeout with a chance to win in regulation. The Orange called a similar play for Miller, but this time, his shot sailed high and it was stopped by Maryland goalie Niko Amato. The game went into overtime, and with 32 seconds left, Maryland ran a double-screen for Grant Catalino, who drilled a 10-yard shot past John Galloway, ending Syracuse’s season.
WHAT IT MEANS: So many times, Gillette Stadium has been a haven for Syracuse lacrosse. The Orange won it all here in 2008 and 2009, but it wasn’t the case this year, as the Orange failed to advance in the quarterfinal round for the first time in 25 games — a streak that dated back to 1981. The win was also a bit of revenge for the Terps, who were ousted by the Orange in the 2009 quarterfinals as SU went on to win the title.
STAR GAZING: The Orange was led by a trio of seniors. Jovan Miller and Jeremy Thompson each had a pair of goalies, while goalie John Galloway notched 11 saves. As for Maryland, Amato finished with nine saves while Scott Larue scored twice.
QUOTE TO NOTE: “I’m happy with how we played, we just couldn’t get the possessions. I thought maybe on the fast break at the end good things were going to happen and it didn’t, so I think it was a good game plan on their part.” – SU head coach John Desko.
WHAT’S NEXT: Maryland will face defending national champion Duke in the NCAA semifinal next Saturday at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore. Duke defeated Notre Dame, 7-5, earlier in the day.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017