Syracuse’s season ended in disappointing fashion on Sunday as Maryland (12-4) defeated the Orange (15-2) 6-5 in overtime of the NCAA quarterfinals.
HOW THE GAME WAS WON: The Orange trailed 5-4 with 65 seconds left and managed to force overtime when Jovan Miller drove down the left side and scored. SU won the ensuing faceoff and called timeout with a chance to win in regulation. The Orange called a similar play for Miller, but this time, his shot sailed high and it was stopped by Maryland goalie Niko Amato. The game went into overtime, and with 32 seconds left, Maryland ran a double-screen for Grant Catalino, who drilled a 10-yard shot past John Galloway, ending Syracuse’s season.
WHAT IT MEANS: So many times, Gillette Stadium has been a haven for Syracuse lacrosse. The Orange won it all here in 2008 and 2009, but it wasn’t the case this year, as the Orange failed to advance in the quarterfinal round for the first time in 25 games — a streak that dated back to 1981. The win was also a bit of revenge for the Terps, who were ousted by the Orange in the 2009 quarterfinals as SU went on to win the title.
STAR GAZING: The Orange was led by a trio of seniors. Jovan Miller and Jeremy Thompson each had a pair of goalies, while goalie John Galloway notched 11 saves. As for Maryland, Amato finished with nine saves while Scott Larue scored twice.
QUOTE TO NOTE: “I’m happy with how we played, we just couldn’t get the possessions. I thought maybe on the fast break at the end good things were going to happen and it didn’t, so I think it was a good game plan on their part.” – SU head coach John Desko.
WHAT’S NEXT: Maryland will face defending national champion Duke in the NCAA semifinal next Saturday at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore. Duke defeated Notre Dame, 7-5, earlier in the day.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016