Syracuse will be announcing its fifth-annual Cuse Awards on the SU campus today. Some of the categories are athlete, rookie, play, performance, game and coach of the year.
According to SUAthletics.com: “Syracuse University Athletics will celebrate another successful year and recognize the achievements of its student-athletes at the fifth-annual Cuse Awards. The gala awards show, which is patterned after ESPN’s ESPY Awards, will be held on Tuesday, May 3 on the Syracuse University campus. Some 600 student-athletes will attend the event, along with coaches, staff and University administrators. Although it is not open to the public, the show will be televised live on Time Warner Cable Sports and streamed world-wide on Orange All Access at SUathletics.com.”
Here’s how I filled out my ballot:
Male Athlete of the Year
John Galloway: On April 4, Galloway and the Orange defeated Duke, 13-11, in the Big City Classic in East Rutherford, N.J. The win was No. 52 for Galloway, which broke Princeton’s Scott Bacigalupo’s mark of 51 established from 1991-94.
Male Rookie of the Year
Ross Krautman: Krautman connected on 94 percent of his field goals throughout the 2010 season, which tied Gary Anderson for the single-season SU record. He was second team All Big East, and had a game-winning 24-yard boot with 1:06 left in a 13-10 win on Nov. 13, 2010.
Play of the Year
Nassib-Bailey-Sales Flea Flicker: It wasn’t just the perfect execution of the play that made this my pick. It was also the situation it came in. The Orange offense stalled its first two times out during the Pinstripe Bowl, going three-and-out on its first possession and turning the ball over on downs its next. This play awoke the Orange offense in a 36-34 win, Syracuse’s highest output against a Division I opponent all season.
Performance of the Year
Erica Morrow – Women’s Basketball vs. Ohio State: Morrow scored 27 points as the women’s basketball team upset No. 6 Ohio State on Dec. 11, 2010.
Game of the Year
Field Hockey vs. UConn in Big East Championship: I have to hand it to the field hockey team. Not only did they win their second Big East title in three years, they also went into Storrs and shut out the Lady Huskies 1-0. Nice work, ladies!
Coach of the Year
Doug Marrone: So many good coaches to pick from, but when its been 10 years since Syracuse has won a bowl game. Period.
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Brandon Randolph includes Syracuse in final four - September 13, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 28, Louisville 62 - September 9, 2016