Syracuse will host George Washington in its 2011-2012 non-conference schedule, people with knowledge of the event said Thursday.
There were rumors about the matchup in the GWhoops message board on Wednesday. It was confirmed by multiple sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.
George Washington finished the 2010-2011 season 17-14, placing fifth in the Atlantic 10. The team is coached by former UConn point guard and assistant coach Karl Hobbs.
The last time Syracuse faced George Washington was in 1994 during the first round of the Preseason NIT.
Syracuse guard Michael Lloyd hit a three point shot at the buzzer to send the game into overtime, but George Washington went on to win the game 111-104. Syracuse has a 7-1 all-time record against the Colonials.
- The cautiously pessimistic Syracuse football season preview - August 30, 2012
- Celebrating 32 years of Syracuse fandom - May 14, 2012
- Current Syracuse team showing shades of 2010? - March 20, 2012
- The Lin-sanity of Syracuse’s move to the ACC - February 22, 2012
- Syracuse is flawed, but is that fatal? - January 27, 2012
- George Washington/Syracuse dual fandom - December 8, 2011
- Why Syracuse won’t make the Final Four - November 10, 2011
- How can the Big East save itself? - October 21, 2011
- SOURCES: Syracuse to play GW in non-conference play - April 22, 2011
- Syracuse overachieved this year - March 29, 2011