The Orange will take on Hobart on Tuesday at the Carrier Dome in one of the oldest rivalries in college lacrosse.
SU NOW AT NO. 4: With its first loss to Cornell last week, the Orange dropped three places to No. 4 in the rankings. Big East foe Notre Dame claimed the top spot in the rankings, while Johns Hopkins and Cornell followed at the second and third spots. The Orange is coming off a 13-3 win against Providence, where Syracuse held the Friars scoreless for the final 50:07 of the game. Despite the defensive dominance, the Orange didn’t pull away until the fourth quarter, when it scored eight unanswered goals. Steven Keogh and Bobby Eilers each had three goals in the win.
SCOUTING THE STATESMEN: Attackman Sam Miller is the Statesmen’s top gun, with 24 goals and two assists on the season. Also look out for midfielder Chris Pederson, who is second with 21 points. On defense, goalie Evan Kirk has notched 116 saves this season and averages 10.45 goals-against.
IN HOBART’S LAST GAME: Pedersen Miller each recorded a hat trick as the Statesmen defeated Bellarmine, 13-10. The game was tied eight going into the fourth quarter, but Hobart scored four straight goals to take control.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: And believe me, there is a lot of history between these two teams. Back in 1916, the two teams met for the first time and have met 96 times since then. The game is called the battle for the “Kraus-Simmons” Trophy, named after the two legendary coaches of their respective teams, Roy Simmons Sr. and Babe Kraus. SU has won the trophy all but two times. All time, Syracuse is 69-25-2 against the Statesmen including last year’s 9-8 overtime win. Keogh scored the game winner with 43 seconds left in the extra period.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016