A quick look at Syracuse’s (9-1) upcoming matchup with Providence (3-7) in the New England Lacrosse Classic at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass. on Saturday:
SU ON THE MEND: Cornell handed Syracuse its first loss of the season, an 11-6 setback as the Big Red took advantage of the Orange’s injuries. SU was without attackman Tim Desko (knee) for the entire game and close defender John Lade (ankle) after the first quarter. Without Lade, Cornell attackman Rob Pannell scored six points as the Big Red jumped out to a 7-2 lead at the close of the first half. Desko will not travel with the team up to Foxboro. Lade on the other hand is listed as day-to-day.
SCOUTING THE FRIARS: Providence is an exceptionally young team. There are 21 freshmen on the team and 20 sophomores, juniors and seniors, combined. Two of those freshmen have stood out of the group – Andrew Barton and Sean Wright. Barton is tied for the team lead in points with 19, while Wright is fourth with 11 points.
IN PROVIDENCE’S LAST GAME: Providence last played on Saturday against St. John’s and lost, 9-6. The Friars struggled to contain Red Storm rookie Colin Keegan, who had three goals in just his second career start. Six different Friars scored, but it was not enough as Kieran McArdle scored his second goal of the game on an empty netter with 1:06 left for the final margin.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The teams have met twice before, and neither game was pretty. The Orange demolished the Friars in their first meeting, 22-3 at the Carrier Dome in 2009. Last year, the Orange won 14-5, although Providence hung in with the Orange, trailing just 6-3 at half. The Friars employed a zone designed to slow down the Syracuse attack, but it wasn’t enough as Chris Daniello and Cody Jamieson scored three goals each.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016