Syracuse suffered its first loss of the season in an 11-6 loss to Cornell at the Carrier Dome. Here’s a quick look at the game:
HOW THE GAME WAS WON: Big Red junior Rob Pannell scored three goals and assisted on three more as Cornell jumped out on the Orange early, taking a 7-2 lead into half. Josh Amidon tried to spark Syracuse out of intermission, scoring two quick goals as the Orange pulled to within 7-4. But the Big Red scored three unassisted goals to put the game out of reach.
WHAT IT MEANS: Syracuse came into the game having beaten the Big Red in its previous four contests, and at 9-0 was off to its best start since the 1990 season, when the Orangemen started 13-0. Both of those streaks came to an end on Tuesday.
INJURY REPORT: One of the reasons Pannell was able to have such a field day was because of the absence of John Lade. Originally, the Syracuse defenseman was guarding Pannell, but Lade’s ankle injury flared up in the first quarter and he didn’t return. After that, David Hamlin, Brian Megill and Joel White all took shots at guarding Pannell with little success. Tim Desko (knee) also didn’t play and was replaced in the starting lineup by Tommy Palasek.
STAR GAZING: Normally, this spot is reserved for Stephen Keogh, but for the first time in 14 games, Keogh didn’t register a point. Josh Amidon had three goals and two assists to lead the way for the Orange. Besides Pannell, Steve Mock, Roy Lang and Scott Austin each had a pair of goals.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange next plays Providence in the New England Lacrosse Classic at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass. on Saturday.
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Central Connecticut State 7 - September 1, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army crossing Final Four threshold builds momentum for 2018 - August 22, 2017
- Boston College Eagles — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 21, 2017
- Adelson: Syracuse football ‘will be better’ but bowl game may prove elusive - August 18, 2017
- Ervin Philips — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 16, 2017
- Louisville Cardinals — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 14, 2017
- Steve Ishmael — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 8, 2017