Syracuse suffered its first loss of the season in an 11-6 loss to Cornell at the Carrier Dome. Here’s a quick look at the game:
HOW THE GAME WAS WON: Big Red junior Rob Pannell scored three goals and assisted on three more as Cornell jumped out on the Orange early, taking a 7-2 lead into half. Josh Amidon tried to spark Syracuse out of intermission, scoring two quick goals as the Orange pulled to within 7-4. But the Big Red scored three unassisted goals to put the game out of reach.
WHAT IT MEANS: Syracuse came into the game having beaten the Big Red in its previous four contests, and at 9-0 was off to its best start since the 1990 season, when the Orangemen started 13-0. Both of those streaks came to an end on Tuesday.
INJURY REPORT: One of the reasons Pannell was able to have such a field day was because of the absence of John Lade. Originally, the Syracuse defenseman was guarding Pannell, but Lade’s ankle injury flared up in the first quarter and he didn’t return. After that, David Hamlin, Brian Megill and Joel White all took shots at guarding Pannell with little success. Tim Desko (knee) also didn’t play and was replaced in the starting lineup by Tommy Palasek.
STAR GAZING: Normally, this spot is reserved for Stephen Keogh, but for the first time in 14 games, Keogh didn’t register a point. Josh Amidon had three goals and two assists to lead the way for the Orange. Besides Pannell, Steve Mock, Roy Lang and Scott Austin each had a pair of goals.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange next plays Providence in the New England Lacrosse Classic at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass. on Saturday.
- Robert Washington, after some confusion, commits to Syracuse — Cuse Clicks - April 27, 2015
- Tyus Battle could make college decision as early as June — Cuse Clicks - April 24, 2015
- Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim visiting with Kobi Simmons — Cuse Clicks - April 22, 2015
- What kind of freshman season will Syracuse G Malachi Richardson have? - April 17, 2015
- Maryland latest to offer 2017 guard Trevon Duval — Cuse Clicks - April 16, 2015
- Syracuse offers 6-foot-11, 2017 forward Mohammed Bamba — Cuse Clicks - April 15, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse dominates Hobart from every angle - April 15, 2015
- Kentucky latest to jump in Kobi Simmons sweepstakes — Cuse Clicks - April 14, 2015
- Syracuse Alumni Team adds Demetris Nichols to roster, could add Andy Rautins, Paul Harris - April 14, 2015
- Jamal Murray shines in Nike Hoop Summit championship — Cuse Clicks - April 13, 2015