Syracuse suffered its first loss of the season in an 11-6 loss to Cornell at the Carrier Dome. Here’s a quick look at the game:
HOW THE GAME WAS WON: Big Red junior Rob Pannell scored three goals and assisted on three more as Cornell jumped out on the Orange early, taking a 7-2 lead into half. Josh Amidon tried to spark Syracuse out of intermission, scoring two quick goals as the Orange pulled to within 7-4. But the Big Red scored three unassisted goals to put the game out of reach.
WHAT IT MEANS: Syracuse came into the game having beaten the Big Red in its previous four contests, and at 9-0 was off to its best start since the 1990 season, when the Orangemen started 13-0. Both of those streaks came to an end on Tuesday.
INJURY REPORT: One of the reasons Pannell was able to have such a field day was because of the absence of John Lade. Originally, the Syracuse defenseman was guarding Pannell, but Lade’s ankle injury flared up in the first quarter and he didn’t return. After that, David Hamlin, Brian Megill and Joel White all took shots at guarding Pannell with little success. Tim Desko (knee) also didn’t play and was replaced in the starting lineup by Tommy Palasek.
STAR GAZING: Normally, this spot is reserved for Stephen Keogh, but for the first time in 14 games, Keogh didn’t register a point. Josh Amidon had three goals and two assists to lead the way for the Orange. Besides Pannell, Steve Mock, Roy Lang and Scott Austin each had a pair of goals.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange next plays Providence in the New England Lacrosse Classic at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass. on Saturday.
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse football active as open contact period starts - September 2, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Who will Syracuse pursue now that Robert Washington is out? - September 1, 2015
- Weekend Recruiting Roundup: Impact of Robert Washington decommiting from Syracuse - August 31, 2015
- Rercruiting Roundup: Syracuse target Cycoby Burch will take officials before commiting - August 28, 2015
- Adelson: Syracuse football faces tough road to bowl game in 2015 - August 28, 2015
- Antwan Cordy — Meet the 2015 Syracuse Football team - August 27, 2015
- Rercruiting Roundup: Is the door open for Moustapha Diagne at Syracuse? - August 26, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Cycoby Burch to choose between Syracuse, three others - August 25, 2015
- Weekend Recruiting Roundup: Decommitted Amir Watts speaking to Syracuse - August 24, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Moustapha Diagne will not play for Syracuse - August 21, 2015