Syracuse will travel to New Jersey to face Princeton on Saturday as two of college lacrosse’s winningest programs renew their rivalry. Here’s a quick look at the matchup:
OFFENSE COMES ALIVE: Syracuse defeated Duke 13-11 in the Konica Minolta Big City Classic on Sunday after the Orange saw nine different players score to take a 9-2 lead heading into halftime. In Syracuse’s two prior games, the Orange could only muster a combined 10 goals. The win was also John Galloway’s 52nd win, breaking an NCAA record previously held by Princeton’s Scott Bacigalupo.
IN PRINCETON’S LAST GAME: Tucker Shanley’s goal a little more than a minute into the fourth overtime ended Princeton’s second longest game in school history, and gave the Tigers a much needed 5-4 win over Brown. The longest game in Princeton history? A four overtime 15-14 win against Syracuse in 1999 (that game went 2:21 longer). The win snapped a four-game losing streak for the Tigers.
SCOUTING THE PRINCETON TIGERS: Part of Princeton’s early struggles has been due to injuries. Senior attackman Jack McBride played the season opener against Hofstra before reaggravating a preseason groin injury. Although he scored his 90th goal of his career against the Pride, he will miss the rest of the season. Sophomore midfielder Mike Chanenchuk, 2010 Ivy League Rookie of the Year, broke his collarbone in a scrimmage against Georgetown and will not play this season. Then, sophomore defenseman Rob Castelo broke his kneecap and tore two ligaments against Johns Hopkins on March 5. Despite the injuries, the Tigers are still a tough defensive squad, led by golie Tyler Fiorito, who allows just 7.34 goals per game, good for 10th in the NCAA.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse is 17-9 against Princeton, and the Orange has won six of the past eight meetings. The last time these two teams met, the Orange crushed the Tigers 13-4 in the New Meadowlands Stadium on April 10, 2010 at the Konica Minolta Big City Classic. Cody Jamieson had four goals and an assist, while JoJo Marasco scored three goals as Syracuse never trailed in the game. Here’s another piece of history — the two schools have combined to win 17 of the last 23 NCAA championships.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016