A quick look at No. 1 Syracuse’s upcoming matchup with No. 3 Duke on Sunday in East Rutherford, NJ in the Konica Minolta Big City Classic:
Cardiac Cuse: The Orange (7-0) is coming off a 5-4 win against Villanova on Saturday. JoJo Marasco scored the game winning goal with six seconds left for the Orange’s third one-goal win in its past four games. Part of the reason for the close game was sloppy play, as the Orange turned the ball over 19 times and also lost eight of 13 face offs.
In Duke’s last game: Talk about spreading the wealth – 11 different players had at least one point as No. 3 Duke (8-2) downed Brown, 12-7. The Blue Devils are streaking, coming into the game winners of seven straight games. Even though the game will be played on a neutral field, it’s worth noting that with the win over Brown, the Blue Devils have won 14 straight games at home, which is the longest streak in Division I lacrosse.
Scouting the Blue Devils: Duke is one of the most prolific offenses in the country, averaging 13 goals a game. That’s good for third behind Yale (13.33) and Virginia (14.11). Senior Zach Howell has led the way with 25 goals and eight assists on the season. Look out for freshman Jordan Wolf, as well. He’s scored 26 points over the past seven games, and has earned two ACC Offensive Player of the Week awards. On defense, Duke is also only allowing 8.67 goals per game, as goalie Dan Wigrizer has saved 57.3 percent of shots against.
Historically speaking: The two teams last faced each other on May 23, 2009 in the NCAA semifinals. SU beat Duke, 17-7, as Kenny Nims led the way with four goals and had an assist. The Orange have won five of six meetings with the Blue Devils, with its only loss in the series being back in 1978.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017