A quick look at No. 1 Syracuse’s upcoming matchup with No. 7 Villanova on Saturday:
Strong start: The Orange is off to its best start in more than a decade at 6-0. The last time that happened was in 2000, when the Orange went 7-0, and that team went on to win the national championship. SU is fresh off a 5-4 double-overtime thriller against Johns Hopkins on Saturday. Stephen Keogh had three of Syracuse’s five goals, including the game winner 15 seconds into the second extra frame.
Streaking Wildcats: Villanova has won its last six games to climb to No. 7 in the USILA Coaches Poll, its highest ranking in school history. Most recently, Villanova defeated Manhattan, 10-6, as junior attackman Kevin Cunningham scored five points. The Orange will have to contend with Cunningham, who leads the Wildcats with 33 points this season.
Galloway closing in: If the Orange win, goalie John Galloway would record his 51st career win, which would tie the all time NCAA record set by Princeton’s Scott Bacigalupo.
Lade returns: Senior defenseman John Lade returns to Villanova where he started his career. Lade attended Villanova in 2008 where he was named to the All-CAA First Team. He then transferred to Syracuse in 2009.
Historically speaking: The Orange is 3-0 against Villanova, including a 20-6 win on March 29, 2010 in Syracuse. Jeremy Thompson had three goals as 13 different SU players scored goals.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016