A quick look at No. 1 Syracuse’s upcoming matchup with No. 7 Villanova on Saturday:
Strong start: The Orange is off to its best start in more than a decade at 6-0. The last time that happened was in 2000, when the Orange went 7-0, and that team went on to win the national championship. SU is fresh off a 5-4 double-overtime thriller against Johns Hopkins on Saturday. Stephen Keogh had three of Syracuse’s five goals, including the game winner 15 seconds into the second extra frame.
Streaking Wildcats: Villanova has won its last six games to climb to No. 7 in the USILA Coaches Poll, its highest ranking in school history. Most recently, Villanova defeated Manhattan, 10-6, as junior attackman Kevin Cunningham scored five points. The Orange will have to contend with Cunningham, who leads the Wildcats with 33 points this season.
Galloway closing in: If the Orange win, goalie John Galloway would record his 51st career win, which would tie the all time NCAA record set by Princeton’s Scott Bacigalupo.
Lade returns: Senior defenseman John Lade returns to Villanova where he started his career. Lade attended Villanova in 2008 where he was named to the All-CAA First Team. He then transferred to Syracuse in 2009.
Historically speaking: The Orange is 3-0 against Villanova, including a 20-6 win on March 29, 2010 in Syracuse. Jeremy Thompson had three goals as 13 different SU players scored goals.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017