A quick take on Syracuse’s 9-8 overtime win over Georgetown on Saturday:
How the game was won: Stephen Keogh scored a sudden death overtime goal with 2:19 left in the game as Syracuse narrowly avoided an upset to the Hoyas. For Keogh, it was nothing new. He’s scored 13 of Syracuse’s 32 goals against Georgetown the past three times these teams have met.
Unlikely hero: Georgetown’s Gerry Reilly was originally recruited to play football and joined the team as a walk-on two years ago. But Reilly certainly looked like a tailback racing down the field after he collected a Jovan Miller turnover at midfield and still had enough time to slip the ball past SU goalie John Galloway with five seconds left, sending the game to an extra session. Georgetown’s Davey Emala scored five goals while Keogh led SU with four.
Zoning in: Georgetown is normally known for an uptempo offense (and defense), evidenced by a 16-15 shootout loss to Harvard on Tuesday. But the Hoyas completely changed their plan of attack against Syracuse, switching to a zone defense and a more methodical offense (to the point where the offense was repeatedly warned for stalling). It worked, as Syracuse committed 16 turnovers and was out-shot 31-29.
Quote to Note: “My hat’s off to the coaching staff for getting them to play differently than we’ve seen them play. I thought they had a good game plan. They were a very well prepared team today.” – SU head coach John Desko during his post game press conference.
What’s next: Syracuse next plays Albany at the Carrier Dome on Tuesday.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017