The Orange control its own fate.
Seton Hall upset No. 15 St. John’s 84-70 on Thursday to drop the Red Storm to 19-10 overall and 11-6 in the Big East. The Orange is 24-6 overall, and has the same 11-6 record in conference play.
The No. 1 through 4 seeds gain a double-bye in the Big East tournament while the No. 5 through 8 seeds will receive a single-bye.
Both teams are now tied for fourth in the Big East, but SU owns the tie-breaker against the Red Storm because the Orange won its only matchup with St. John’s with a 76-59 win on Jan. 12.
That means that with a win over DePaul on Saturday, Syracuse can clinch the No. 4 seed in the conference. DePaul, meanwhile, has clinched the No. 16 seed after going 1-16 in conference play. The Orange could also clinch the double-bye if St. John’s loses to South Florida on Saturday.
The No. 5 seed would play on Wednesday against the winner of the No. 9/16 game in the Big East Tournament. The winner of that game would then go on to play the No. 4 seed the following day.
- Mixed Juice: 2016 Syracuse football predictions - August 19, 2016
- Mixed Juice: Who will start for 2016-17 Syracuse basketball? - July 29, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: Parity is the new normal - May 23, 2016
- Thoughts on athletic director Mark Coyle’s departure from Syracuse - May 12, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: ACC Tournament predictions - April 28, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Zagoria breaks down Syracuse basketball’s loss against North Carolina - April 3, 2016
- Part II — Syracuse basketball Final Four Predictions - March 31, 2016
- Syracuse basketball: Final Four Predictions Part I - March 30, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim discusses win over Virginia - March 28, 2016
- A look at the Sweet 16 - March 23, 2016