In the past week, there has been a lot made out of Jim Boeheim’s rant following Monday’s 63-52 win over West Virginia.
But as my friend and colleague Matt Dagostino pointed out in his column earlier in the week, “as Boeheim rants are concerned, that was pretty mild.”
I agree. There was probably a little too much made out of Boeheim’s confrontation with the local media and it got blown out of proportion.
In fact, it wasn’t even the first time this season that Boeheim had gotten into a scrape with a reporter. Take a look at this video following Syracuse’s run in the Legends Classic back in November.
Sometimes, when Boeheim is upset, inanimate objects can also become targets.
That being said, every single one of Boeheim’s diatribes — past, present and future — will always be compared to the one he made during Syracuse’s magical run in the 2006 Big East tournament.
If you remember, in the buildup to Syracuse’s first round matchup against Cincinnati, the Orange was, at best, a bubble team for the NCAA Tournament.
Sports Illustrated and the Post-Standard both conducted anonymous polls of Big East players and assistant coaches. In each poll, Gerry McNamara was voted the Big East’s “Most Overrated” player.
We all know what happened after that.
Hard to imagine that was five years ago now, but that tirade still continues to be talked about to this day.
I doubt the same will be said about Monday’s press conference.
That’s all for this week, folks. See you at the same time, same place next week.
Editor in Chief
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016